Chapter 19

Sebastian regained his composure first, catching the door before it could swing shut. "What happened?" he asked.

I glanced up at him. "She doesn't want me to get my hands dirty to protect her and the others... She said they'd all rather die than let me do that..." I felt my eyes begin to water. "I can't let them die..."

Sebastian stepped into the room and closed the door. "Your friends are not targets in this, remember? They should come out of this just fine."

"Yes, but they may become targets if they try to protect me."

Sebastian was silent for a moment, but when he met my tearful gaze, he commented, "You know, you are the head of this house. If you told them to stay out of it, they would have to obey."

I stared at him. "That wouldn't work. As long as they are here, they'll stop at nothing to protect me."

Sebastian's eyes sparkled. "Then get rid of them."

I gasped at his words. I could never get rid of them. They were the only family I had left.

After Sebastian didn't say anything else, and the initial shock of his words dissipated, I finally realized what he was suggesting. "I could send them away. On a vacation or something."

Sebastian smiled and nodded.

"That's perfect. It will get them out of harm's way. It will take a lot to get Sarah and Jasmine to go, though."

"Please leave everything to me. I'll make sure the vacation is to somewhere they couldn't possibly refuse."

I nodded. "Alright. I'm counting on you. Is there any other reason you came here?"

Sebastian smiled. "Maia has breakfast prepared. Will you be coming down?"

I smiled and nodded. "I'll be there in a moment. Thank you."

Sebastian bowed slightly. "Of course, My Lady."

***

After breakfast, I went back to my room to think about everything that had happened, but my mind kept drifting back to the kind and gentle gaze that demon had given me. It had been so warm and loving. I couldn't get it out of my head.

And those eyes... those all too familiar eyes. He had been the one looking in through the window that day. But I'd seen those eyes before that. Where had I seen them? I was wracking my brain when a memory invaded my thoughts.

"Falling in love with a demon will only lead you down a road of despair. We do not have the ability to love as you humans do. Be careful of the path you choose."

I gasped at the memory, the glowing red eyes in the darkness, the voice that spoke its warning. It had been him. It had all been that demon.

He hadn't been trying to help me. He hadn't been there to warn me. He'd been trying to scare me away from loving Sebastian so that I could instead fall in love with him.

But why? All for some prophecy that was conjured up thousands of years ago? Who was it that saw this prophecy? What made that demon think the girl mentioned was me?

I can answer your questions, you know.

I spun around at the voice, trying to locate the source. It took me a moment to realize it was in my head again.

"What?" I asked aloud.

I have the answers you seek. I'm willing to help you understand.

"No, please, don't do that again!" I backed up until I hit the wall, then slid down and sat on the floor, hugging my knees to my chest.

Then a familiar fog shrouded my thoughts, and I felt my fear vanish. But something was different about this fog. I could still think for myself. It was like it was simply there to embrace me, keep me calm.

I won't control you this time. You won't get your answers if you are scared of me.

"Alright," I said, testing my voice through the fog. "What is this prophecy? Why does it have to be me? How do you know it's me?"

The prophecy was foretold by the demon king thousands of years ago, just days before he was found dead. He had no heirs, and the prophecy tells of the next ruler of our world. That ruler is you.

It has to be you because you fit the description of the prophecy. You've gone through several trials already: the loss of your parents, the kidnapping of your friends, just to name a couple. I know it is you because of this, and who you are.

"Who I am?"

The prophecy mentions diamonds. A diamond is a type of crystal. Your name is Chrystal. Your appearance is not that of a young human woman, either. Snow white hair, pale complection, auburn eyes. You look just like one of us. I know they may seem like meaningless details to most, but there's never been a human that looked more like a demon than you.

"But why someone who was human? Why not just pick another demon?"

Unfortunately, no one knows. The demon king had the ability to see into the distant future, so no one dared question him. He never lied about what he saw.

"What happened to him?"

Yet another mystery, my dear. Many believe he was assassinated, but there is no proof of that or anything else. It was like he simply dropped dead out of nowhere.

I thought long and hard about if I wanted to ask my last question. I did so warily. "Why do you want to rule so badly?"

The demon was quiet for a moment, as if he was contemplating the reason himself. After what felt like ages, he finally spoke.

The same reason as everyone else, I suppose. The power of being king. He paused, and when he continued, his voice was soft and gentle. Many other people want that power, and are searching for the girl of the prophecy. I know for a fact that it is you, and I want to save you before they find you.

"Save me?"

None of the others will be nearly as kind with you as I have been. They want power, and they'll do anything they can to get it. They will be much more forceful with you, altering your mind on sight and tricking you into loving them. Then they'll want nothing to do with you, and you'll be killed or locked away to live out the rest of your eternity alone.

His words would have terrified me if not for the comforting cloud around my thoughts. I simply sat in silence, listening.

I'm not like the others. I would love to rule with a partner, especially the one who is destined to be the most powerful demoness to ever live. I'm giving you time to consider your options. You can stay here with your servant until the swarms of demons attack, or you can come and rule with me, where I guarantee you will be well protected and well loved. Choose wisely.