Chapter 2

Sebastian set me down on my feet carefully, then gently took my hand and led me over to a beautiful garden. It was dead, with bare trees and black, dried ivy clinging desperately to the stone walls, but it was still lovely.

Front and center of it all was a stone bench, where Sebastian gracefully perched me. He knelt before me, smiling. I returned his smile.

No matter what, I thought as I stared into Sebastian's glowing red eyes. No matter what he may feel towards me, I love him. No matter what, I'll be with him always.

Sebastian seemed to want to take his time, and I allowed him. It wouldn't have been very polite for me to force him not to savor his meal.

He took my left arm in his hands and pulled my glove off with his teeth, then turned my arm over to where the seal of our contract was contrasting against my pale skin. He slowly bent over and kissed the mark softly.

I giggled, and he glanced up at me curiously.

I smiled at him. "Always so dramatic," I said, shaking my head.

He smiled, then held my hand in his and used his other to move some stray hair out of my face. I felt myself lean into his touch.

"Will it hurt?"

His smile changed, but I couldn't place it. He simply shook his head.

Relieved that I would feel no pain, I relaxed and closed my eyes.

I felt Sebastian move closer, and soon enough, it was happening. His lips reached mine, and they stayed there for what felt like forever.

But then he pulled away. I opened my eyes. Was it done? Was I alive? What was going on?

I looked to Sebastian. Unable to form words, I simply stared at him in what I hoped was obvious confusion.

When he said nothing, I looked around. I seemed to be in the same place. Sebastian seemed real enough. They say that before you die, your life flashed before your eyes. Was the place I was seeing just from my last living moments?

Soon enough, I was finally able to form words. "Sebastian?"

"Yes, Chrystal?"

I eyed him suspiciously. "Am I dead?"

"No, Chrystal."

I was even more confused. "I'm alive? But how? You were supposed to eat me."

He leaned over and pressed his lips to mine once again, this time with a different kind of hunger. When he pulled away, he was giving me his signature smile. Then it hit me, and I had never heard anything more wonderful than the words that came from his mouth.

"My Lady," he said as he opened his eyes to stare honestly into mine. "How could I possibly eat the one I love?"

I sat there, gaping at him. He was refusing to end our contract? But didn't he, like, have to end it? What was going to happen to him by refusing it?

Then his words finally sank in, and my gaping mouth turned into one of the biggest smiles I've ever had. I wrapped my arms around my butler. My love.

***

When I woke up, it was to knocking at the door. I called something I couldn't even understand due to my grogginess, and heard the door open. I sat up, becoming aware of everything again as I started to shake the sleep away, and glanced toward the door, expecting it to be Sebastian.

Instead, I saw Sarah, my house maid, watching me sweetly. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and yawned one last time before getting out of bed and walking over to her.

"Sarah?" I asked, slightly confused. "What are you doing here? I thought I'd asked Sebastian to wake me up?"

Sarah's expression changed from sweet to serious. "Yes, Chrystal, you did. He is currently occupied, so he asked me to come fetch you instead."

"Occupied? With what?" I asked, even more confused. If Sebastian was busy with something that took him longer than a couple of seconds to complete, it had to be something important.

"I believe it would be better if I showed you. Please get dressed and meet me in the hallway. I'll take you to him."

As she turned to leave, I saw her eyes linger on the black rose on my bedside table for a short moment. She didn't question it, and walked out of the room like nothing was different.

I faced my closet, eyeing each of the dresses as I took off my pajamas. What could Sebastian be so busy with? Why was it something Sarah said I should see? If it's simple housework, nothing would have happened.

I glanced over from my closet to the clock on the wall. I had only been asleep for half an hour. I'd wanted to be woken after I slept for a while. What is going on?

I finally picked out a solid black dress that was fitted to my torso and had a flowing skirt, then pulled my favorite black flats from under my bed and slipped them on. I ran a brush through my hair, and finally opened the door to my bedroom to see an impatient Sarah. Well, not so much impatient, because Sarah was the most patient person I'd ever met. Maybe on edge was a better way to describe her.

"Sarah?" I asked, beginning to worry. "What's happening?"

She gave me a forced smile. "Follow me, please."

She began walking down the hall and toward the stairs to the lobby. I followed her quickly as she descended the stairs without her normal grace. Something was definitely wrong here.

She led the way through the lobby and into a small sitting room that we never really used. Confused, I followed her in, then gasped at what I saw.

Sebastian was standing in the room, but he had an unexpected visitor with him.

The man gave me a half smile. "Hey, Chrystal Foster. It's been a while."

"James?" I asked in shock. I shook my head to clear it. "What are you doing here? Why is everyone so on edge?"

His half smile faded into a serious expression, and I was immediately scared of what he would say next.

"Chrystal," he said softly. "A middle aged couple came forward late last night. They claim to be the ones who killed your parents."

(Sorry to anyone who didn't like the first half of this chapter. I wanted her to dream about the event, but I didn't want to rewrite it and accidentally change something. I wasn't trying to be lazy, I just didn't want to hurt my story. I hope you all managed to enjoy it anyway, though. I love you all!)