Chapter 60

"Sarah!" I screamed. "No!!!"

I started to rush toward her, but Sebastian's hold on my arm kept me back. I fought him, tried to pull away, but he just wrapped his arms around me, preventing my struggle.

I stopped squirming. "Please, get her out of here," I whispered so only he could hear me. "I'll be alright until you get back."

Sebastian hesitated. I knew he didn't want to leave me, especially in the biggest battle of our lives, but he knew how important my friends were to me.

He sighed. "I will only be gone a moment." And then he was gone, and Sarah was, too.

I picked up my swords and faced the massacre before me. Lisa had joined Thomas in taking out the army, while Evan was fighting the head demon alone. Knowing I had to do something, I ran toward them.

As I reached the demon, I swung both my swords at him at once. He turned away from Evan in time to block my attack, and left an opening for Evan to get him from behind. The demon grunted in pain, then jumped away from us. When he looked at us again, his eyes were glowing in rage.

"Clearly this isn't working how I'd thought. I'd hoped you'd be quite weak, and yet here we are." The demon was livid. His eyes darted back and forth across everyone in the room, and I knew he was trying to think up a plan.

"Funny," I told him, "I'd been told every demon knew about the prophecy. Clearly you hadn't if you thought I'd be easily beaten."

He smirked at me once again. "I'd hold your tongue, if I were you. I don't see your servant here to save you."

I looked at him for a long moment, then found myself smiling, as I finally believed the words I was about to say. "I don't need him to save me. I'm strong enough to take care of myself. For once, I want to save others."

"I'd be careful, your good heart will get you killed."

I stared him down, smirking back. "Try me."

He scoffed. "The future queen of demons, defending humans. This isn't how a demon should behave. You'll never win the loyalty of your people this way."

"Are you certain?" I heard Lisa ask as she approached us. "She has the loyalty of three of us already, and if you haven't noticed..." she left her sentence unfinished as she gestured to the crowd behind her.

Many of the demons were standing behind us, staring at the silver haired man angrily. Confused, I looked to Lisa, who gave me a small smile before looking back to the man before us.

"They don't appreciate you using them in the way you did. They overheard Chrystal while we were fighting and decided they did want a queen like her. They want someone who can rule peacefully and will protect them. And protecting others is something that Chrystal can do beautifully."

Her words moved me, but I didn't have time to focus on them for too long. I could still hear Thomas' gun shooting bullets rapidly. As I looked over, the humans were all still advancing toward him. I angrily looked back at the demon.

"Release them!" I ordered.

He smirked yet again. "I don't take orders from you. I won't let you become queen. You will not see the end of this trial!"

"Chrys, watch out!"

I turned just in time to dodge a stray bullet that someone had deflected, then looked to where the voice had come from. Sarah was standing in the doorway, a hand over her wound.

"What are you doing? You're not supposed to be here!! Where's Sebastian?"

Sarah gave a slight nod toward the attacker, and when I looked back, Sebastian was behind him. He quickly apprehended him, making sure the demon couldn't move.

"Get your hands off me!" he shouted as he struggled.

"Release these people, and I'll have my butler release you," I told him.

He scowled. "I can't release them. They're too far gone."

My mind immediately went back to my vision, where I was locked in the dungeon, unable to be saved. The same thing had happened, but not to me. These innocent people had been taken hostage and controlled, and now...

I looked back to the demon, ready to give him a piece of my mind, but found he was looking somewhere else. I followed his gaze, and I felt myself go pale as I saw where he was looking.

He was staring at Sarah, and I watched as she slowly lowered her arm from her stomach and turned to face me.

"Sarah, get out of here! Run!"

She didn't answer. Instead, she began walking toward us, her eyes never leaving mine. I could tell she was scared. She didn't know what was happening.

I took a step toward her, but Lisa grabbed my arm. I jerked away from her, and she stared at me. "Chrystal-"

"No, let me try. If anyone can get through to her, I can."

Lisa hesitated, then nodded. I turned back around to face my friend, only to find that she had picked up a discarded weapon, a dagger, and was slowly approaching all of us.

But her gaze that looked so scared and yet so malicious was fixated on me.