Chapter 63

I awoke on a soft bed, lying on my stomach. I felt cold hands on my bare back, and groaned as the pain returned. The hands pulled away.

"Chrys?" a voice asked softly.

At the sound of it, all of the memories of what had happened came flooding back, and I wanted to bolt upright and see what was happening. But the pain in my back was too great. All I could do was turn my head and slowly open my eyes.

I met Sarah's worried gaze, and I felt my eyes fill with tears. "You're alright..."

She smiled, then leaned back over me. "Yes, thanks to you. I don't know how, but you talking to me was able to break that horrible spell I was under." I watched as her eyes watered. "I'm so sorry I hurt you."

I gave her a small smile. "I'm sorry you had to go through something like that. You did a really good job holding him off." Suddenly, I remembered her injury. "Sarah, how's your stomach?"

She didn't take her eyes off my back as she answered, "I woke up and the injury was gone. Lisa told me that Evan must have healed it." She shook her head. "I'll never get used to everyone around me having secret powers." Then, she turned back to her work. "This is going to sting."

I turned my face toward the pillow and braced myself. She gently took a cloth of some sort across my back, and I winced at the pain. Only then did I notice a gloved hand gently holding mine. I squeezed it tightly, and Sebastian did the same in return.

"Where are the others?" I asked through gritted teeth. "And why isn't Evan healing me?"

"Thomas left to call Jasmine and let her and the others know it was safe to return," Sebastian answered. "Evan healed the more serious wounds on your neck before he decided he should try to take care of the humans who were injured in the lobby. Lisa is down there cleaning up."

I tried not to picture the carnage that was probably all over the hotel lobby.

"How's your head?" he asked. "Have your powers settled down?"

I turned back to face them and nodded. "I think so. For the time being, at least."

Sebastian looked relieved, while Sarah was still staring intensely at my back, doing her best to clean and dress the large wounds.

"Your back is very bruised, Chrystal," she said. "I'd recommend taking it easy."

I was about to nod to her when the door opened. I couldn't see much over Sarah, I knew that dark brown hair.

"The others are on their way back," came Thomas' familiar voice. There was a pause, then he asked, "How is she?"

Sarah smiled. "Ask her yourself," she said, then stepped back.

Thomas and I locked eyes, and he smiled brightly seeing I was awake. I smiled back, taking in his appearance. He thankfully didn't seem to be hurt, but I could only imagine how pained he could be having had to shoot down so many people.

"How are you holding up?" he asked as he took a step closer.

I couldn't help but laugh. "I've been better."

Thomas sat on the other bed in the room while Sarah returned her attention once again to my injuries. We talked about what had happened during the fight. I thanked both of them repeatedly for helping, all while squeezing Sebastian's hand.

*

At least an hour had passed before the door opened again, pulling me from my dozing state. Sarah had finished taking care of my injuries and dressed me in some of Jasmine's spare clothes, as mine had been completely ruined. I was lying on my stomach in a pair of lounge shorts and a tank top, but I managed to sit up when I heard a familiar voice gasp.

I looked over to see Jasmine running up to me. She wrapped her arms around my neck tightly, and I hid my flinch of pain as I looked over her shoulder to see Maia and James smiling in the doorway.

"Sorry I wasn't the one to call you," I told Maia as I wrapped my arms around Jasmine.

She waved off my apology. "No need to fret over it. At least you're alright."

I laughed a little. "I'm still in one piece, if that's what you mean."

Jasmine pulled away slightly to look me over. Her eyes searched my front for injury, and she frowned suddenly. "Oh, Chrys..."

I smiled at her. "I'm going to be okay, Jasmine. Sarah patched me up."

Her expression didn't change. "It's over now, right?" she asked hopefully. "Truly over?"

"Her last trial has been completed. In a few days, all demons will accept her as their new queen."

We all turned toward the new voice. None of us had heard the door open, but we were relieved to see that it was Lisa and Evan who were joining us.

I looked immediately to Evan. "How did it go down there?"

His face looked grim, then he forced a sad smile. "Many of them were beyond saving, unfortunately, but the ones I managed to help are fine now. I also blocked their memories of this event. They should be able to live a normal life."

I nodded, sad that so many had died, but happy some could be saved. I snuck a quick glance at Thomas, who I could tell was trying to hide how sad he truly was.

"A few days?" James asked Lisa, still thinking about her statement.

She nodded. "Word travels fast, but it will take time for it to reach all of us. Besides, she won't truly be accepted until she becomes a demon, which is still to be decided, I'm assuming." She turned her gaze to me.

I looked down at my hands in my lap. "I've made my choice. You and Sarah are right. These powers aren't going to go away, and I don't want to live a life of fear, wondering if a demon or my powers will kill me first." I looked up then, meeting Lisa's gaze with a steady one of my own. "I'm done running. I'll be your queen."

Just about everyone in the room smiled, but my friends' faces held some concern as well.

"Well, if that is your choice, we'll turn you in a few days' time."

"Why the wait?" I asked, wondering if being injured had anything to do with it.

"You will need to get all of your affairs in order, dear," Lisa told me. "Although, it might be easier if you just leave all of your things to your servants and keep your mansion as a vacation home of sorts."

I nodded in understanding. Clearly, I had a lot to think about, but all of that could wait. All I could do for now was sit with my friends and wait for my wounds to heal so we could all finally go home.