Chapter 3

(Sorry this took a bit! Time got away from me and I didn't realize how long it had been since the last update. I hope you all enjoy!!)

My knees gave out from shock. Sarah caught me before I hit the ground, and I willed my legs to work again. What? Someone came forward? After all these years?

I wanted to ask these questions aloud, but I couldn't seem to get any muscle in my body to function properly. Out the corner of my eye, I saw Sarah glance up to Sebastian. He quickly came over and took me from her, then sat me on the couch. All I could do was stare at James.

He cleared his throat; clearly he hadn't expected this to be the response he got from me. "Chrystal, I came by because I need to ask you a few questions about that night."

My body was slowly recovering from the shock as his words began to sink in. I nodded.

He pulled out a small notepad and pen. "Alright, we'll start simple. What happened that day. Where were you going, what had you been doing, etc."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, then glanced over to Sebastian and Sarah, then back to James. "B-before we start," I stammered, geturing for him to take a seat, "would you like any refreshments or snacks? The police station is a ways away, I'm sure you had quite the journey."

James smiled. "Some water will be fine, thanks."

I glanced up to Sarah. "Would you please?"

She smiled and nodded, then left the room.

With that out of the way, I sat back and thought about what we had been doing that day. James sat across from me on the opposite couch, and watched me patiently, pen at the ready. My eyes wandered to the gun in its holster on his belt. I wonder if it's the same gun he shot me with, I thought with an unnoticeable smile.

"I don't really remember what we had been doing that day. Maybe we had been at the mall all day. I do know that we were on our way home when it happened."

James made some notes on his notepad. "Do you remember what you were doing in the car? Were you all sitting in silence? Talking? Wearing seatbelts?"

I frowned, the memories all flowing back to me. I stopped answering his questions for a moment. I had one of my own.

"James, why are you doing this? The police questioned me in the hospital after the accident. They already know everything that I do."

James glanced up from his notes to me. "That couple who came forward and claimed to be the killers, remember? My boss wants to make sure your story lines up with theirs before we take any drastic measures."

"Then check it against what I've already told you," I cried softly. "James, I don't want to think about this anymore..."

His expression softened. "Chrystal, I didn't want to come here today. I told my superiors the same thing you're telling me now. But they told me something that I wasn't supposed to tell you, and that's the reason I have to do this."

I wiped a tear from my eye. "What are you not supposed to tell me?"

James appeared to be torn. If it was something about the closed case of my parents' deaths, then I deserved to know about it. Eventually, he gave in to mine and Sebastian's stares.

"This couple isn't the first to come forward. There have been countless others ever since the accident."

"What? Why? How?" I was speechless.

"I don't know. All we know is that none of the stories have aligned with the one you gave us. Therefore, I was sent here to see if there was anything different you hadn't thought of before."

There was a quiet knock on the door then, and Sebastian walked over to answer it. When he returned, Sarah was with him, holding two glasses of ice water.

"Thank you," James smiled, accepting the glass offered to him.

I didn't even look up as Sarah placed my glass on the coffee table. I was stunned. People were lying and claiming to be my parents' killers? Why would someone do that? They would gain nothing other than life in prison.

No one but me knew any details about the accident other than that it was a hit and run, and that both my parents had lost their lives.

"So," James said, placing his glass on the table, "would you mind answering the rest of my questions? I'll be out of your hair soon. It's only a few."

I nodded numbly, and he repeated his question.

"We were on our way home," I said again. "Mom and Dad told me there was a surprise waiting for me, and I begged them to tell me what it was. Mom finally told me that they had hired a new maid; one that was my age and could be my friend. She apologized for how lonely I had been because of being homeschooled and not being allowed to socialize with the neighborhood kids. I told her I was fine, and that I hoped the new maid and I got along. Then the car hit us. It came out of nowhere. I hadn't seen it, and I highly doubt either of my parents had." I swallowed another lump in my throat as the tears pooled in my eyes again. "Mom and Dad had both been wearing their seatbelts. I hadn't. I flew through the windshield due to the force of the impact, while they both died in the car."

James wrote everything down quickly. "And the paramedics? Did they say anything to you on your way to the hospital? Or did any doctors?"

I shook my head. "The paramedics only talked amongst each other about how I should've been dead. The doctors in the hospital only told me that I would live, my parents had died, and a nurse told me I must've been caught by my guardian angel after I flew out of the car." I lightly touched the scar on the back of my head. It had been the only major wound I'd received, and it was from the glass of the windshield as I flew headfirst out of the car. The glass had already been mostly shattered, so there had been no sign of trauma or impact with the pavement. Something had to have caught me.

James smiled as he wrote everything down. "Well, thank your guardian angel for me next time you see her."

I gave him a weak smile in return, before the tears overflowed and streamed down my face.

Sarah immediately sat down beside me and held me. It wasn't the first time I had broken down like this, and it certainly wouldn't be the last, and Sarah was always the one who consoled me.

"I miss them so much," I cried to no one in particular.

Sarah was there, smoothing my hair lovingly and whispering in my ear, trying to calm me.

James stood. "I'm sorry I came over unannounced and upset you. We are doing everything we can to find out who it really was." He looked like he was hesitating to say something, but then seemed to not care anymore if he was reprimanded. "Chrystal, this case was never closed, like you were told. It is still very much open, and we've been going through more and more suspects every day. We won't stop until you finally have at least a little bit of closure, I can promise you that."

I pulled away slightly from Sarah's embrace. "Really?"

James gave me a soft smile, nodding.

More tears fell from my eyes, but these were happy tears. Finally. Finally I would get some closure. Finally I would know who killed my parents.