Chapter 12

Not a moment after the demonic silhouette had vanished, Sebastian burst into the room. He glanced to me, then followed my gaze to the empty window, and then back to me again.

I didn't see or hear him approach, but a heartbeat later, his arms were around me. It was only then I noticed my body was trembling violently. I latched onto him, terrified of the man who had been peeking in on me through the window.

He didn't ask questions until after he had lifted me up and sat me on the couch. He sat beside me, his arms still wrapped around me protectively, and my grip on him never loosening, so tight it hurt my injured hand.

"What happened?" he finally asked. "What did you see?"

I wanted to answer him. I needed to answer him. When I tried to speak, however, no sound came out. I shook my head and buried it in his chest.

He placed a hand on my head, stroking my hair comfortingly, trying to calm my trembling figure.

This only made me cling to his suit tighter. Why had he been there? Who was he? Those eyes had looked so familiar. Bright red, slightly amused, mostly enraged.

Then everything clicked, and I gasped while attempting to hold back my tears of terror. Sebastian held me tighter.

It was a demon, I tried to tell him, but the words wouldn't leave my lips. Instead, I thought them, urging them toward him, hoping that he could hear me because of the contract.

Sebastian pulled back slightly, and I glanced up at him. His eyes were tinged with red, as if he was trying to suppress his anger, but his face held nothing else other than concern. He'd heard me.

I looked away. I didn't like seeing his eyes turn red. As much as I loved him, and as safe as I was with him, the thought of demons and the fact that he was one still scared me. I didn't like to see the proof in his eyes.

Finally, I found my voice. "He didn't seem like he wanted to hurt me. At least, not at the moment." I thought for a moment, trying to think. "He just stood there, and as soon as I saw him, he was gone."

Sebastian was silent, probably processing everything and trying to think of a reason that the demon had been here.

I suddenly gasped again, a thought hitting me hard as a brick. I glanced back up to Sebastian, and was thankful to see the red had dimmed from his eyes.

"Do you think he was the one who sent Jennifer?" I asked, new fears coming to mind. Jennifer and Lily, unknowingly, were part of a demon's plan. Would police be enough to protect them? "Maybe he was here because he was trying to see if she had done her job or not." I shuddered, looking away from Sebastian and unconsciously leaning further into his protective hold, seeing the stranger's silhouette and familiar bright eyes in my memory. "He looked so angry when he saw me..."

"Perhaps he is working for one of the men who want you eliminated," Sebastian suggested. I flinched at the last word he said, and he wrapped himself around me once again.

"Did you see what he looked like?" he asked softly, his voice soothing in my ear. At the sound of it, I felt myself stop trembling and my grip relax. My throbbing hand rejoiced as the pressure was removed. I lay still in my butler's comforting and safe embrace, trying to remember. Eventually, I sighed.

"No. The only thing I saw was a dark silhouette and his bright red eyes."

"I see," he said calmly, probably as to not scare me again. "Well, I can assure you, he is no longer here, and it seems he meant you no harm. By his own hands, at least."

I took a shuddering breath and nodded. He was right. The man had left. He wasn't going to hurt me right now.

"He probably went back to report that I was still alive to whoever he is working for."

"I'd say so, which means for the time being, you are perfectly safe."

I nodded again, feeling myself relax completely as my body believed his words. I was fine for now. There was nothing to stay tense over.

Sebastian moved beside me, and I sat up slightly, nearly whimpering at the loss of his protective hold. He stood, then lifted me up into his arms once again, where I happily lay my head on his shoulder.

"You need to relax for a while. You've had a stressful afternoon."

I could only nod in compliance as he carried me out of the sitting room and up the stairs to my bedroom, where he gently lay me on the bed and covered me up to my shoulders with my comforter. He leaned down and kissed my forehead, and when he stood back up, I reached out and grasped his hand in mine.

He looked at me. "What's the matter?" he asked softly.

I stared up at him, trying to find the words. I knew I was safe for now. That demon probably didn't have orders to kill me himself, or else he would have done so. But the fear came crawling back as soon as Sebastian had released me. What if something did happen? I would be completely defenseless while asleep.

But my brain wouldn't let me explain these thoughts to Sebastian. All that left my lips was, "Stay here, at least until I fall asleep."

Sebastian's concern faded and was replaced with a gentle smile.
"As you wish, My Love," he said softly, then sat on the edge of the bed, never releasing my hand.

I smiled, feeling the fear fade away as I snuggled the blanket around me. Whether it was just his presence that put me at ease, or he had some sort of power that he could use to relax me, I wasn't sure, but either way, I felt safe enough to close my eyes.

"Make sure to wake me when either dinner is ready or James gets here," I told Sebastian, stifling a yawn. "And tell the doctor to leave the check with us, and I'll pay it soon."

He nodded, drawing soothing circles on my swollen hand with his thumb. "Rest now, Chrystal."

I tried to nod, but before I could, I had fallen into a peaceful, dreamless slumber.