Chapter 62

I looked from my fallen friend to the demon who was continuing to struggle against Sebastian's grip. I glared at him as I crouched beside Sarah. "What did you do to her?" I accused.

The demon met my gaze, his anger clear on his face. "I did nothing, but she's not under my control anymore. Now let me go!"

Several demons from the crowd suddenly jumped forward toward their master, seemingly eager to free him. I watched, worried for Sebastian, until Evan leaped after them and fought them off.

I turned my gaze back to Sarah. She was breathing, and didn't seem to be injured other than the wound on her stomach. I reached out to her, only then noticing the pain in my back. That was one sharp dagger, I thought, wincing.

Lisa approached us, and I looked up at her. She was clearly looking at the injury on my back, but I ignored it as I asked, "What happened to her?"

She met my gaze and gave a kind smile. "Judging from the energy you were putting off moments ago, I'd say you freed her."

I looked up at her questioningly.

"We can talk more about it later. We have a fight to get back to." She stepped forward then and picked Sarah up gently. "I'll take her somewhere safe. Be careful."

I nodded, then stood as she disappeared from the lobby. I was slowly growing more and more aware of the blood oozing from my back, but I did my best to ignore it. I had to finish this. I could worry about it later.

I lifted my swords again and rushed forward toward the silver haired demon. He'd somehow managed to break free from Sebastian's grasp while I wasn't looking, and he was charging at me with murder in his eyes.

I quickly crossed my swords and shielded myself from his first attack, then rushed to slice him before he could recuperate from his initial blow. He jumped back, and my sword only managed to slice his shirt.

This went on for several long minutes. We would both attack and block, neither one capable of harming the other. But I was still a human, and my stamina was a lot lower than his. I was beginning to feel fatigued, and my headache was returning.

The demon took advantage of this and locked eyes with me. I felt his spell enter my mind, and I couldn't focus on defending myself both physically and mentally. I heard an order to stop, and I couldn't help but obey. I lowered my swords.

He grabbed me by my hair again, lifting me into the air. I cried out in pain and dropped one of my swords as I reached out, grabbing his arm, trying to get him to release me. He only smirked.

"Alright, girl. You've had your fun. Now, I say it's time I finished this, wouldn't you agree?"

I squirmed in his grasp, trying desperately to break free.

"Se.... Sebas-" I tried.

"Silence!" the demon yelled in my ear, his free hand grabbing my throat.

I cried in pain and fear. "Se-"

The man once again interrupted me. He screamed, then released my hair and punched me hard in the face. I heard several people call out my name in fear as I went flying across the room and my back hit the hotel's front desk, knocking the wind out of me as I collapsed to the floor in pain.

It was several long moments before I was able to catch my breath. When I was able to look up, Thomas was once again in front of me, gun raised. A beat later, Sebastian was by my side.

"Chrystal! Are you alright?"

I couldn't answer. I didn't know. My back hurt like crazy, but I couldn't tell him that. We had to finish this fight before we worried about me. I had to finally be safe.

"Please, Sebastian. End this," I met his gaze, attempting not to cry from the pain I was experiencing as I tried to stand. "I'll help hold off the others. Kill him." I blinked, and gave him a smile. "That's an order."

He gave me a sad smile of his own before nodding. He helped me stand, then rushed off to do as he was told.

I approached Thomas, still clinging to one of my swords. He gave me a worried look, and I forced a smile for him before rushing off to help fight the demons who were defending their master.

I jumped at one for the four that Evan was fighting off. He hadn't noticed me, and I was able to plunge my sword through his back. I quickly pulled it out as he turned, enraged, and sprung himself at me.

I wasn't nearly as comfortable fighting with one sword as I was with two, but I was capable of defending myself. I did just that, trying to distract as many of the demons that were still working for the silver haired man as I could. I had to give Sebastian time to fight and kill him. I fought for as long as I could before the pain in my head and back was too much to bear. A demon was able to punch me hard in the chest, and I fell backward to the ground once again.

The demon I'd been fighting stood over me, a savage look on his face as he licked his lips hungrily. I stared, unable to move, and braced myself for whatever was about to come.

But it never did. I watched as a kick sent the demon flying across the room with a cry of pain. After a moment, my vision was able to focus and I saw Lisa standing above me, watching the demon with narrowed eyes. When it didn't get back up, she turned her attention to me.

I was expecting her to ask if I was alright, or if I thought I could stand. But she didn't. Instead, she lifted me from the floor and held me in her arms.

"You know," she finally said, her attention on the fight before her, "you're supposed to be the one to kill him."

I didn't say anything for a moment. I couldn't fight anymore; I could barely move. I wasn't going to be able to kill the demon.

Slowly, I lifted my arm that was still clinging to my sword. "Give him this," I told Lisa. "We'll do it together."

She stared at me for a moment, then smiled and nodded. She took my sword, then looked over her shoulder. The next thing I knew, I was being handed over to Thomas.

I glanced up at him, and was happy to see he wasn't hurt. Slowly, my head rested on his shoulder, and my eyes refused to stay open any longer.

I heard Thomas' gentle voice before my fatigue took over say, "Everything's alright now, Chrys. You're finally going to be safe."