Chapter 31

(Hi everyone! I missed you all. I'm sorry it's been a while, but life's been getting in the way, and I haven't really had the urge to write in a while. But I finally did, and this is what came from it. It isn't great, but I think it's cute. I'm not great at writing filler, and I apologize for that, but I hope you enjoy anyway.)

I ate very little at dinner. Every sound made me jump. A car door, a bird's call, the buzzing of a fly. I grew so anxious I felt I was going to vomit. I dropped my fork onto the plate before me and sighed.

Sebastian appeared beside me a moment later. He took my plate away while I slumped back into my chair, my mind racing once again. Surely more demons were already on their way to kill me or take me away. What was I supposed to do? Just sit around and wait, pretending everything was fine?

All I wanted was to go to bed and sleep soundly through the night. Sadly, it wasn't late enough for that yet. I didn't understand how it was only around eight in the evening when so much had already happened today. I just wanted the morning to come. When the sun rose, James and Lisa would be here taking me somewhere safe. I only had to survive until then.

"Chrystal," Sebastian's gentle voice said from beside me. I jumped in my chair, startled from my thoughts. When my eyes met my butler's, I looked away and held my head in my hands. I was so on edge that even the sound of my love's voice was enough to make me fear for my life. How was I supposed to survive a whole night?

I felt his hand on my shoulder, and I leaned into him. "I'm ready for bed now." I didn't care how early it was. I wanted the day to be over.

Sebastian held me tighter, no doubt sensing my anxiety about the night to come. Maybe he shared some of it. "As you wish."

Sebastian lifted me from the chair. I didn't move as he paused for a moment, probably waiting to see if I would resist him. I didn't. My mind was elsewhere.

He carried me out of the kitchen and up the stairs, then made his way to my bedroom. He sat on the edge of my bed and held me tighter.

We were both silent for a long moment. I was staring off into space, my mind filled with every possible situation that could present itself tonight. Sebastian, on the other hand, was thinking something different. "I almost lost you today..." he finally said quietly.

I looked up at him, finally pulling myself out of the future and back to the moment at hand. I hadn't seen such fear and sadness on his face since I was shot a year ago. My heart ached at the sight.

One of his hands came up and caressed the bruises on my neck. I shivered as his cold fingers grazed my skin, but I didn't pull away. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I wondered why he wasn't wearing his gloves, but I didn't care enough to ask. I leaned into his touch.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, thinking back on the event that had happened that afternoon. "I tried to fight his hold, but I couldn't..."

"Shh..." Sebastian's hand moved from my neck to cup my cheek. "Nothing that happened today was your fault. You have no need to apologize." He gave me a soft smile. "Besides, you did fight him off, remember?"

"Only because he said your name. If he hadn't..."

"There's no need to think about what could have happened. You'll only scare yourself even more. For now, celebrate that you beat a demon's mind games."

I finally returned his smile. "Maybe you won't have to eat me after all."

He chuckled a little at my joke, then leaned down and kissed me softly. My eyes fluttered closed while my right hand covered his that was still holding my cheek, and my left wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer.

I don't know how long we sat there, but when he eventually pulled away, I was breathless. I felt myself blush as he smiled, then he turned and laid me on my bed.

I rolled over onto my side and adjusted my head on my pillow as Sebastian pulled the covers over my shoulders.

"Please stay here with me tonight," I blurted. I hadn't wanted to ask, but my fear was greater than my will. I wanted him in here with me tonight. I wanted to feel safe.

Sebastian smiled as he lay beside me. "I had already planned on it. I will not leave your side all night." He held my hand in his, and I felt relief wash over me as I smiled back and snuggled against him.

"I love you, Sebastian," I said, closing my eyes.

He leaned down and kissed the top of my head. "I love you too. Sleep well."

I smiled at his words as I felt him remove the tie from my hair and it fall around my face. And as he played with my hair, I fell into a restful and dreamless sleep.