Chapter 14: Unknown

"Aasif, I can't go," I shriek at him, my voice becoming hoarse from the constant abuse it has undergone in so little time.

"We must overcome our fears," Aasif chants in absolute mockery, his hands shackling me towards the blue jet-ski floating around the boardwalk.

As soon as we are a meter near, I begin my public display of embarrassment yet again.

"Aasif I can't." I frustrate repeatedly, trying to dodge between the small opening in his arms to run free.

"Aasif, we don't have life jackets, do you want me to drown?" I test him, my voice shaking from the sudden urge I have to scream my agitation.

"Don't be such a baby, I am going to be there with you," he replies cooly.

I look at the small waves of bright blue and gulp. There is something about the unknowing under large masses of water that brought my heart into quivers. It was the exact reason I had no intention on learning to swim. There was no need.

"I will watch you, please," I beg under his strong abusive hold.  I still couldn't phantom any good outcomes that could evolve from this, asides from his own entertainment.

"That's it," he suddenly announces, his eyes squinting mischievously, an evil smirk plastered across his face.

Before I have a second to delve into his plan, my mouth starts screaming when I am effortlessly clung over his shoulder.

"You animal!" I yelled over and over until I  feel my lungs numbing, but to no avail, mostly because we were deserted from everyone else.

So I continue.

"Shut up!"

"Let go and I will" the blood is already rushed to my eyes.

"What's wrong?" Another very erratic voice blossoms.

Like reflex, my cheeks start their season of summer.  I nudge Aasif iron in the stomach to hiccup my fall. And it works, but not without pain.

I dust off the dirt from my clothes and wince at my needle etched elbow welcoming warm fresh blood.

"You are still scared of water?" Adam mocks in content. He is leaning against a large tree, his arms crossed over his chest, a proud smirk on his face.

I return to the masses of water where the jet ski is housed, bullying me with taunt. I try swallowing my spit but my tongue has betrayed me with the dry cleaners, my throat fraternally parched.

I have to do this I decide.

For my pride at least.

"Who said I was scared," I reply, but my voice cracks, ruining the effort of confidence.

A scoff. Aasif.

I gather myself off of dirt and push past Aasif towards the end of the dock, my feet flailing like the waves.

God help me.

I attempt to distract myself with the blissful surroundings. The sun's return for play and sweet sound of baby bird echoes, really warm me up. Even if for a brief moment.

Aasif quickly discards his shirt to catapult into the water, the sound freezing me. He swifts the jet ski in closer contact with the ledge of the dock, motioning me as passenger. I hesitantly crouch down and lift one leg but return as soon as my face reflects in the water.

I didn't know anything below that which was familiar.

"This is going to be so much fun, you'll see," Aasif encourages through wet hair and eyelashes.