Chapter 12: Whipped

A/N: I am sorry for the lack of updates. University has been really hard and I am finally adjusting to it. I wanted to update before my finals, which are starting soon so pray for me. I will have some time after my finals to get back to maybe regular updates In sha Allah but we will see. This chapter has not been edited and may have mistakes, please excuse them. Thank you for your patience and support!

----

The blinds screech all at once, the abrupt exercise too unannounced for their resting limbs. I groan into my pillow and flip over to the side opposite the light allergen.

"You need to get up, breakfast will be ready soon," Mama rushes.

I try to squeeze my eyes shut and pretend as though sleep will sprint back with an embrace, but much to my annoyance, it doesn't. So I count every singly imperfection on the ceilings, then the walls, and last the door. When I am satisfied with that, I adjust to the blooming sun and fresh green. I stare for what must be hours, but the beauty never ages. As soon as I hear my stomach begging for food, I decide to leave the comfort of my bed.

I grunt in an unfeminine manner before standing erect. After about five minutes of tormenting myself on what to wear, I rush to shower and then run to the living room. The cabin is completely empty, so I am quick to assume everyone's whereabouts.

I slowly make my way outside and stop dead in my tracks on the front porch. The view is beautiful, absolutely breathtaking. I take the moment to say Alhamdulillah. It isn't just the scenery that canvases the background, it's the people apart of it that makes it the more lovely.

They are all gathered a good distance away from the cabins, behind tall thinly statured trees that sway back and forth to the inviting breeze. Mama and Cici are laughing at something comical while sat at one of the picnic tables. I gleam over the view of my dad and Adam's dad, who are stood next to the barbecue flipping various breakfast items. My father looks content and bubbly, expressions that make my heart flutter with glee. It is so worthwhile to see him in this state. He always said nature was therapeutic and now I had proof to that statement.

Nature was a cure of its own, which is exactly why mama planned this trip for him.

"Are you going to stand there all day?"

I dart my attention towards the voice, to catch sight of Adam standing a couple of feet across from me. He has his eyebrow raised in curiosity, a glint of a smile swift across his perfectly structured face.

"Yes, I was just-" I stumble and stop midway when I realize he is advancing closer.

"You're mom just asked me to get her something," he voices mockingly, most likely noticing my anxious facial expression. I remember his words from last night and shudder.

He gets close enough for me to notice the stubble on his face, but dodges away as the distance becomes discomfort.

"Aamirah!" Cici shrieks , her angelically large ocean blue eyes beaming at me. She wavers me over to her side in excitement and I run to that portion of the bench. Mama gives me a sweet smile.

We sit there for a while, flowing from one conversation to another. Cici has so much to say that it sometimes feels like nothing boring ever happens in her life. The constant traveling gave her new stories to tell. She is one of the most determined and hardworking people I know, traits that I admire the most about her.

In the midst of sharing her experience of being searched for an unjustified and embarrassing terrorist suspicion, Adam approaches mama. He is holding onto a couple of picnic blankets, all of which he gives to mama. She thanks him by drowning him in her blessings while he sheepishly shrugs the praise.

He does this thing were he rubs the back of his neck, while at the same time, shuffling his feet back and forth to flaunt his discomfort. I feel bad for him.

"Mama, I think he understands," I speak up after a while and instantly feel all eyes darted towards me like swords. Mama looks at me puzzled but stops her over exaggerated love towards his gesture. She simply nods and makes her way over to the shady part by the lake, with Cici following suit. I watch them walk away and zoom in on Adam.

"Thanks, I owe you." He says, smiling in all his grace.

My eyes grow wide, while my heart repeats its practiced orchestra routine. I sit entranced by his caramel colored eyes and tousled hair, but eventually brave myself to swallow my spit and move my tongue.

"What are you doing Adam?" I ask him accusingly.

"What am I doing?" he inquires while facading a surprised expression at my obviously absurd question. His eyes squint slightly, both of them searching for some meaning behind my words.

"This-" I motion my hands between him and I -"this close communication, the constant encounters; you've never spoken to me for how long, why now?" I blurt. As soon as I visualize his entertained expression growing longer limbs, the regret poisons me.

The overthinking is just now realized by my cheeks who blush embarrassment.

He is just empathizing in response to my father's condition; that is the only reason.

It is simple, nothing to read into.

And I slap this reality into my face right after the words have been publicly thrown out the closet.

"You just seemed lonely," he shrugs without thinking. My mouth gapes open, but before I can reply, he winks at me and proceeds to walk to the picnic blankets that mama has neatly placed across the freshly mowed grass.

I follow his retreating back and take my seat in between Cici and mama on the hideously pink blanket.

"What do you want ?" Aasif grunts and rolls his eyes when I taunt my obnoxious expression. Him being forced to serve us food is the most comical view.

"I want some eggs, toast, and my tea. And I expect hustle, hands and knees," I shoo him, chuckling when his eyes narrow at me.

"Oh yeah? You can hustle your way on your own" he spits angrily and moves on to asking Cici and mama what they want.

I continue to pry him into getting me my breakfast, but to my misfortune, he persists to refuse. I scoff at Aasif's lack of mercy once he returns with their plates but mine, and use all my strength to walk to the picnic table to serve myself.

After finally becoming content with the overflowing amount of food on my plate, I grab the jug of orange juice and also feels some one's presence.

Without even turning, the cologne gives him away in a second.

"I also missed old times," He whispers right next to my ear, the hot air sending me into paralysis. He shields the closeness by reaching for the toast across the table.

I set the jug down and clench my jaw. Facing his oddly perfect face, I huff at him and make my way back. While sitting cross-legged in my place, I glance over at Adam one more time. He turns his attention back towards me in a wicked smile his eyes sparkling with amusement.

While he is making his way over to my brother, I can't help but digest his words. The past's memories flood around my conscious, incidents that bring wafts of warm and comfortable volumes to circulate my veins.

I hated this.

I am becoming enslaved.

And it's all because of a tall, beautiful human who trapped my heart long ago.

But the feelings have freed from their rusted cage.

And I tremble over the dangers of this overwhelming body of something I cannot even understand.