Chapter 7: Vulnerable

"Wake up hon" mama whispers in my ear, her hands lightly swaying my shoulders from left to right.

After being rolled from side to side with indifference, I voice my disappointment.

"I can't mama," I slur, my mouth still a sleep.

"Oh okay."

I feebly nod. She gently lets go of me, leaving me alone to inwardly groan into my pillow. This week of the month feeds cruel, forcing me to witness the observing of fasts.

Nothing about that feels special.

My mind eventually slides past the upset.

---

Biology finally starts in full gear, Ms. Pharrel starting with Cell Division. I grow genuinely fond of her teaching style, the active learning further propelling my mesmerization of the subject.

The bell eventually rings.

I pick up my backpack that I hang around my chair and place my binder and notebook into it. My eyes find Adam's empty seat as I stand up, backpack slung over my shoulder. I vaguely feel a pinching at my stomach in effect of his absence, but I know it's better he wasn't here today.

I was finally able to concentrate.

In pre-calculus, Mr. Brown reviews last year's material. His teaching style is also exceptional; the one down side is his tendency to pick on students, not something I'm fond of.

By lunch, my stomach roars with boast. I head to my locker and begin placing all of my belongings away. No longer than three seconds pass and I feel two arms encircle my neck.

"We have decided to take you out," Sophia sings in my ears.

"Oh yeah, where to?" I question, beaming.

"That Donair store you're obsessed with," Nura rolls her eyes.

A genuine laugh.

"Put your coat on," Sophia rushes, shoving me towards my locker. How they always got ready the second classes finish was besides me.

Nura ushers us outside into the winter; where students run back and forth in nothing but their indoor clothing, complaining about the cold. I shake my head at their stupidity. The roads are all blocked with traffic, the sound of honking reverberating through the streets. I strategically position my feet onto the icy floor below, particularly because I had the clumsiest feet.

The cafeteria welcomes us with a unique smell of fused cuisines. I rub my hands together to suppress the numbness that is forming in them. My whole body is suddenly blanketed with warmth, the feeling euphoric. We continue to the long line up outside of "Halal Donair," which moves quickly from the efficient service. My turn comes up within seconds.

"The usual?" a familiar sales person directs towards me, a smirk positioning on his face. I nod and say my thanks. While in the process of taking out a ten dollar bill, Sophia stops me. We argue about who should pay for my food until she throws her money at the cashier, turning to laugh at my defeat.

I didn't like taking other people's money, this trait unjustly teased.

We find an empty table along the rear end of the cafeteria. I clutch the vegetable Donair in one hand and a hot chocolate in the other, tightly enough so as not to drop to the violent shoving. The area quickly floods with people, most of them from our school. We take our seats, my back to the main entrance, Sophia and Nura facing me.

I unwrap the Donair and take my first bite. After a couple more, the guilt of eating in front of my fasting friends rushes to shore. I begin to apologize as their expressions reflect surprise; their eyes darted above my head, mouths parted.