Chapter 51

Merianna

The early morning hours of the next day found me back in Noch's office yet again.

"What is the meaning of this?" I asked as I stared at Noch menacingly while Thyrion happily sat to the left, munching an apple.

"It is exactly as it sounds. I need you to team up with Thyrion and go to a Coven where recent movements have been reported by Raska.

"I can do that on my own." I said firmly.

"I know you can, but seeing as how things are escalating recently, I think it's about time someone tags along with you." He said with a smile. "It also gets him out of my hair for a while."

"So basically, you're sending me to gather information, and making him go with me just so you don't have to see his face or have to deal with him." I concluded.

"You are absolutely correct. I might be tempted to outright kill him if he so much as walks the wrong way. Don't blame me, this was Fog's suggestion when he caught me strangling this sorry excuse for a human this morning."

"And what makes you think that I won't also be tempted to kill him myself along the way?"

"You're a smart girl, and you also don't have as big of a grudge against him as I do. No burning or dismembering please. I would at least like to have him back alive so I can still kill him myself." Noch said sweetly with a grin.

My eye twitched. "How do you know that I have already threatened to burn and dismember him?"

Noch smirked. "There is a saying, the walls have ears, my dear. And this is after all Fog's castle which I have free roam in."

"We weren't near any walls last night." I said flatly.

"Hedges also count as walls you know." He smirked and chuckled at my furious face.

I couldn't come up with a good retort so without warning I tossed a thick scroll rolled up around a wooden shaft at his face, which he unfortunately caught. He looked at the parchment curiously and looked back at me.

"Have fun reading my wealth of knowledge. You will probably only finish with it after the sun has set." I huffed and exited the room before he could retaliate in any way. It only took a few seconds before I heard thudding footsteps following closely behind me.

"Where are you off to Meri dear?" Thyrion sang from behind me.

Without thinking twice about it, I turned on my heel and faced Thyrion squarely. His look of surprise quickly vanished as I grabbed his hand, turned my hips into his side and hoisted him over my head to slam him into the ground. "Do not, call me Meri."

While he was still coughing his lungs out on the floor I waltzed into my room and slammed the door shut. I sighed at the bliss of being back in my own space.

"What seems to be the matter My Lady?" Asked Hezerial as he walked out from my bathroom.

I frowned at him. "What are you doing in my bathroom?"

"I was reddying your bath My Lady. I had come across some Honeysuckles while roaming about the borders and thought that you might find the scent pleasant in a morning bath. I had noticed that you have been tense for the past few days and thought that you would enjoy something refreshing." He said with a smile so bright that it felt like I might be blinded.

"That is, very thoughtful of you Zerial, thank you." I said as I walked closer and caught the fragrance of the sweet flower in the warm air.

"It is ever a pleasure, My Lady. Now, may I ask again what seems to be troubling you so early this morning?"