Chapter 65

Merianna

It was great that we were making headway. Everyone else around me was running around with tasks to complete and messages to relay. Many were also helping the last stragglers of the coven we assisted to move through the gateway to the Council's building, where they could receive the help they needed. The Order was, after all first and foremost a battle unit and place of learning, not a sanctuary.

I was also glad that Noch gave me most of the answers that I was looking for after what Thyrion had told me. The uneasy knot in my stomach had loosened, but I was still worried. Many things were making sense, but then again, many other things were not making sense.

With a heavy sigh I closed my eyes and rubbed my face, only to have powerful arms suddenly wrap around me in the next moment. The moment I was pulled into a hug from behind and caught a glimpse of dark long hair, I knew who the culprit was.

"Junnie...." I whined in defeat and went limp in her grasp. Not that my body weight fazed her.

"Missed me little sunshine?" She sang happily as she rubbed my head with her cheek.

"Not one bit. In fact, I was basking quite happily in the peaceful atmosphere that followed after your departure." I deadpanned unhappily.

"Now that's not very nice. Why do you hate me so much, little one?" She pouted.

"Because you treat me like a child every time you set your sights on me."

"But you are a child my dear."

"I'm sixteen!!!" I yelled indignantly. I was already well past the age to be called an adult in society.

"Indeed, only sixteen years old. Your little soul is still so innocent. You should stay away from the horrors of this world and just be a good girl at home, find a non-lethal hobby and fall in love. Now if you were two hundred years old in a sixteen-year-old body... that would be a different story." She sassed back while hugging me tighter.

"I'll be making it my mission to catch up to you crazy people in no time." I wheezed.

Junnie chortled. "Clearly not in age, my dear."

"I'm not stupid." I muttered, only to squeak in the next moment when Junnie suddenly let go of me.

"Now, tell big sister Junnie what has you all up in a twist. I shall listen to all your girlish woes!" She announced proudly, and bent at the waist to look me in the eye.

I turned fully towards her with a raised eyebrow. "I'm not in a twist. Moreover, I've never heard that phrase before. Jasnine always says tizzy though, is that the same thing?"

Junnie gave me an adoring smile. "Ahhh... so innocent. Please stay like this forever." She practically oozed. "But yes me saying twist and Jasnine saying tizzy has pretty much the same meaning behind it."

"Well then, nothing has me in a twist nor a tizzy. So now that your curiosity is satisfied, I shall be going."

I turned around only to have Junnie fly into my line of sight again. "Oh, no you don't. I can see that you're troubled by something, and I can't just leave our dear Meri in such a state now, can I?"

I didn't know why, but Junnie using Nelia's nickname for me made my eye twitch. I didn't like it. I actually appreciated it when she had used my full name. "Only Nelia can call me Meri. Not even Raska or Jasnine calls me Meri."

"Oh dear, did that offend you?" She pouted again. "I only wanted to use your cute nickname since you seem to like it every time Nelia calls you Meri. I also just want to get closer to you, you can think of me as a big sister any time you want to!"