Chapter 47

Merianna

I was right... It did turn out to be a long day.

After a lot of poking fun at me and Councilor Ferina trying to get Junnie to behave, we all managed to fill them in on what had been happening as well as our theories.

Councilor Ferina didn't seem very enthused about the fact that a previous Council member could be working with the hunters. We also agreed with the possibility of other talented witches that could possibly be behind this chaos too. It was hard to keep track of witches that weren't part of any of the Covens. Anything could be possible at that stage.

The thought itself of any strong witch working on the side of the Hunters, was frightening. I couldn't wrap my head around the possibility. I couldn't comprehend why any kind of witch would want to side with the Hunters to begin with.

With an irritated huff I fell backwards into my bed's pillows. I didn't like the way my thoughts were turning about in my head. It was tiring.

"What seems to be the matter My Lady?" Asked Hezerial as he appeared in the middle of my room. I probably should have thrown a fit and kicked him out of my room like I usually did, but I had given up. He could be surprisingly stubborn when he wanted to be.

"I don't like it." I scowled.

"Don't like what My Lady?"

"Everything that seems to be going on lately." I said while sitting up. "I don't like that there are witches who are either siding or being forced to comply with the Hunters. I don't like that we have to suspect people who might need us, of being in league with the Hunters. I don't like that the Council isn't taking action faster to stop all of this. They are supposed to be the ones with the answers and procedures to help in situations like these, yet it seems like we keep doing their work for them."

Hezerial's face pulled into concern as I told him all my worries. "But my Lady, this is not something new that had only recently started happening. There have been small things changing in the ether since long ago. Maybe it is only now that it has become more obvious."

My heart practically stopped beating when Hezerial uttered those words. It felt like my theories had just been flipped upside down and tossed out of the tower's window to splatter apart when it smashed into the ground. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that things have been changing little by little for centuries now, just like they always do. Creatures and People change over time My Lady, it's a fact of life. This is no different from normal mortal's squabbles. For the sake of survival people always make choices, whether they be good or bad, whether it's for themselves only or for the morals they stand for." He said simply.

"I don't know whether I should envy you your world view or disregard it." I muttered unhappily.

"Meaning that you feel much more attached to the situations at hand than you would like to My Lady?"

"Unfortunately." I sighed, but then a thought struck me. It was something that had been on my mind for a while now, but I couldn't bring myself to share it with any of the members here, and especially not Nelia.

"Zerial, is it possible for Hunters to break off from their organization?" I asked hesitantly.

He seemed to give it a bit of thought before he lifted his eyes back to me. "I think there might have been some that tried in the past, but none that I know of ever succeeded, of what I noticed over the years in any case. I was mostly jumping from one Realm to another while I awaited your return My Lady."

"I need to ask a favor of you Zerial."

"Anything My Lady." He said as he quickly bent down on his knee.