Chapter 43

Merianna

After my "meeting" with Noch had finished, I went straight to my new room and flopped down on my fresh new furs and linens, sleep was absolute bliss.

Hezerial's first words to me in the morning when I emerged from my cave and walked towards the kitchens were: "Have you any inkling as to how worried I have been?"

"Good morning Zarial, thanks for welcoming me back." I deadpanned with a yawn as I pulled an apple from a basket.

"...G-good morning and welcome back my Lady... but still. I have been beside myself when I didn't receive any word from you for hours, only to come back from the ether and find you passed out on your bed, safe and sound." He said disapprovingly.

"I haven't contacted you because I was perfectly fine! I do not need someone walking in my shadow all day long. I'm used to doing things on my own." I shrugged his worries away and started walking to a bench. "Sorry though, I should have probably told you I was back safely before falling asleep."

When I looked up at Hezerial, he looked positively torn. I wondered what was going on in that head of his. It didn't take long for me to find out though.

He fell to his knees and bowed his head in one fluid motion. "You have no need to apologize my Lady! I'm just overjoyed that you are back safely! And thankful that you are so considerate and accommodating towards me." When he lifted his face, his eyes were shining blue orbs of tears.

I sighed. "You don't have to cry about it you know..."

"What on earth did you do to him Meri?" I heard Nelia ask from behind me.

"Good morning to you too. What is it with no one having proper manners today? And I didn't do anything to him. I'm innocent in this exchange." I looked back at Zerial's teary face. "Mostly innocent." I amended.

"Lady Nelia, my Lady did not notify me of her safe return last night while I was beside myself with worry!" He cried.

"Oh you poor thing." Nelia cooed as she patted Hezerial on his blonde head. "Meri, shame on you. You must take better care to be mindful of the people around you! You didn't even let ME know that you were safe!" She admonished.

Both Nelia and Zerial were looking me in the eyes with identical gleams in their stares. I couldn't believe this! They were playing on my emotions and intentionally wanting to make me feel bad! Was it working?

Yes it was...

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to fall asleep straight away! You two can stop making me feel bad already! I got the message!" Nelia smiled smugly and Zerial's tears dried up immediately as a smirk took its place.

"Unbelievable!" I fumed and bit viciously into my apple.

"Love you too Meri." Nelia said as she quickly came over to hug me from behind. I just grumbled in response and kept moodily munching away as Hezerial disappeared into the kitchen.

Within a few moments an explosive commotion broke out from that direction.

"You heathen!!!" I heard Dorris yell at the top of her lungs from the kitchen's depths. "Get out! GET!!!" A series of thundering bangs and thumps followed closely behind her outburst. "I do not care that you are her guardian! This is MY KITCHEN! MINE! OOOOUT!!!"

"Oh my..." Came Nelia's surprised whisper at the commotion.

I was just as surprised as she was...

Never in our 3 years of living here had we heard Dorris rip into someone so vehemently as she was doing right then. Come to think of it, no one had managed to stay in the kitchen's space for that long either. No one but Noch or Fog, but they had earned the privilege of being in the kitchen's space a long time ago according to Dorris.