Chapter 69

Noch

As I emerged from the gateway's vortex I couldn't help but let out a weary sigh. I really didn't look forward to whatever I was going to have to do to get Jernok to listen. Hopefully, the mere mention of Dermon's name would be enough to get his head out of his ass.

I walked up the stairs to the entryway and unceremoniously opened the heavy doors with my magic. I really didn't care who had what to say about manners or courtesy. Everyone that was within the entrance hall paused momentarily to glance at the commotion I caused, but those that recognised me quickly made haste to dive out of sight.

"Hey you over there." I called out to a random unlucky witch that was walking past with a pile of parchments.

"Yes, sir?" The young witch asked uncertainly.

"Where is that asshole Jernok right now?" At my question the young witch suddenly blanched white and looked like he was torn between being shocked and outraged. Maybe I should have phrased my question differently?

"I'm sorry sir but the Council Head is currently preoccupied. Please send a proper request for an audience before barging in unannounced." He sounded offended for some reason. Maybe I should be a little more courteous?

"Youngin... you must have come from a different division. This is me being nice. Either you tell me where I can find that waste of space, or you will be walking around without skin for the next week. Your choice." I managed a good smile for his benefit as well, yet the young blood reeled back and looked just about ready to pass out on the spot. Was I too forceful?

"Nochtandriel, long time no see." A new voice came in from the left.

"Who are you again?" I asked curiously to the young woman that came walking calmly up to us. She did look familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint from where.

"I'm Kiria. I graduated from the Order a few decades ago and started working here in the Council afterwards." She said with a smile.

"Oh, no wonder you look familiar. I'm glad to see you doing well. I still can't understand why the hell you wanted to come work in a place like this though." I remembered now that she was one of the graduates that boldly stated that she was going to work for the Council afterwards and not stay in the Order.

She chuckled. "I am indeed doing well, thank you. As I expected, this place is more my speed. I would not have survived in the Order had I been staying there permanently. I'm honestly grateful for the lessons I learned there."

"Well, there aren't any places like the Order after all. Finding places where to gain experience are far and few between." I agreed with a nod. "I still think you would've fit in perfectly at the Order though, especially with the youngins we got after you left."

She perked up and cocked her head. "You mean the yearly newbloods?"

"Nope, I'm talking about actual children that have been living at the Order now for the past few years. Arasule has dubbed herself grandma, Jasnine has dubbed herself aunt, Fog acts like a father, thankfully Raska is the same as ever, the Ga's adopted little Nelia into the Healer's section, while everyone else in the Order takes turns raising them." I explained. It was the least I could do since Kiria hadn't been visiting, like some graduates tend to do every so often.

Kiria looked like she was turning pale. "Are you alright Kiria?"

"Those poor children. They must be going through hell. How old are they?" She asked in a sudden rush.

I thought for a second, age is rarely an important thing to keep track of for a witch. "I think they're both sixteen now since they're twins."

She looked appalled for some reason. "What's wrong?" I asked.