Chapter 25

Noch

I could feel a tick starting to develop on the side of my jaw as I glared up at the nine council members, who were, in fact, muttering amongst themselves while I was standing there in the middle of the platform in front of them all. They milled about themselves in their fine white, gold and black council's robes and smiled broadly while shaking each other's hands, looking like a whole bunch of saints that haven't seen each other in years.

Although, I could stand the milling, muttering and greeting. I could most certainly look past those things. But, milling amongst themselves like nothing at all was important right after they took their beloved time getting here in the first place, after a URGENT fire message?

I could see myself burning this place to the ground in the near future if someone didn't acknowledge me soon... I was actually slowly plotting the whole incident out in my mind. I even thought that Merianna would love to have a hand in the whole scheme.

"Nochtandriel." A female from the dais called.

About time they noticed me.

"Councillor Ferina." I responded while looking up at her. She was the only one in the milling group that had actually taken her seat and paid attention to me with a serious expression. She was just about the only council member that I ever respected and liked.

I might make sure that she is far away from the Cathedral before I burn the place to the ground...

At least our little exchange seemed to have caught the other Council members' attention. They all turned to look at me and finally took their respective seats.

The tick in my jaw intensified when I saw Councillor Jernok taking his place at the head of them all on the most lavish chair there was. His blonde head was slicked back and darkened with wax that made it look like a cow had licked him. His slightly rounded face told me that he was enjoying this lifetime in a lazy way and I should expect him to gain more weight in the future. He was generally a handsome man with deep blue eyes that could see through your soul and put you at ease, but he had yet to win my respect through all the centuries I'd known him.

Yes, Councillor Jernok was head of the council. Did I like that? No. Did I like him? No. Was he a royal pain to get council action actioned through? Most definitely. I had hoped that the old fart had made his final stop to the beyond by now, but it seemed that he just had to come back again after his previous death via accidental Arasule bomb detonation. Note, he bought the potion from her, ignored her warnings, and got himself blown up stupendously while walking home. We still have no idea what he bought it for, and to this day he refuses to speak of it...

"Nochtandriel Dragnoric. The Council has gathered today in response to your urgent summons." He said in a way that made it look like he would have loved to be anywhere else.

Likewise.

I nodded my head to him in acknowledgement of that statement. I might have hated the man, but council rules still bind all witches when they enter the Council's building which I had lovingly come to call The Cathedral - and the name has stuck since then. Even though it wasn't really a cathedral, it still looked very much like one. The most lavish I've seen on the Mortal realm, granted, but it still screamed Cathedral none the less. Minus all the religious icons.

Back to the rules, one of the rules of the Council dictates that you do not speak unless you are requested to speak. Which I despised to the pits of Tartarus and back. Especially since they placed a spell in the chamber to actually enforce that rule when necessary.

"What has captured your attention Nochtandriel? It's rare that we ever receive a summons from you." Ferina asked with a genuinely concerned expression.