Chapter 36

Merianna

Before I knew it we passed the edge of the mountain and hovered high over the forest that grew on its head. It was only then that I could properly see what the area looked like.

Most of the trees and vegetation were darker than the forest below, with a dark mist slithering through the canopies. The mountain looked like a deity had taken his or her hand and swiped the top of it off to leave most of the mountain peak flat. A few edges were rough outcroppings for caves and rocky hills, but most of it was forest territory.

I almost couldn't believe that, that was the place where Noch had unceremoniously dumped me into. What if I was running through the forest and fell of the side of the mountain? He told me nothing of what the surrounding area would look like. He didn't warn me about the Rippers. He didn't warn me about ANYTHING.

"I am going to kill him." I growled to myself as Hezerial descended to the forest floor.

"Whom are you going to kill My Lady, if I may ask?" Hezerial asked excitedly as he peeked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Nochtandriel." I groaned out in frustration.

Hezeriel just gave me a confused look which I shook off. "You will most likely meet him very soon. At least before I get the opportunity to skin him alive."

He smiled at that as we landed on the forest floor and started walking towards the area where he had found me. "I would love to meet the target of your vexation before you disperse of him My Lady."

I snorted. "You say that now. Wait until you meet the cockroach."

Hezerial laughed and hefted my satchel higher up on his shoulder. I was glad to see that he also hadn't lost his grip on the Rune Reaper in our trip up the mountain.

For some reason talking to Hezerial felt comforting. "Truth be told, I feel like skinning him alive, but at the same time, I know that I would not be able to truly follow through with my threat." I said with a smile.

"Why is that My Lady?" Hezerial asked curiously.

"Because he is too much like family." I chuckled halfheartedly. "He vexes me, yet he also does not allow me to wallow in pity. He would forever try to find a way to rise my ire just because he knows I would jump on the chance to fight him." I looked out into the dark mist of the forest, almost hearing his voice calling me a demon child as he has done so many times before. "I swear, if I had had a brother, he would have been like Noch."

Hezerial chuckled lightly. "Sibling-hood is still something very foreign to me My Lady, but familial ties are closer to my grasp I suppose."

I smiled at that. "I have a big family now."

"You do?" Hezerial asked with a surprised jerk.

I just chuckled. "I do. Everyone in the Order-,"

"BLASTED DEMONIC SPAWN OF THE DEVIL! COME OUT OF HIDING BEFORE I HAVE TO -,"

A sharp yelp cut off what was obviously Noch's booming voice.

"Don't you start with that!" I clearly heard Nelia yell at him. "It's your fault she's out here! What if she's dead? What if she's seriously hurt? It's all your fault!" I heard her rebuke Noch, with a sharp thump and another yelp from Noch.

Go figure that I could never lay a hand on Noch while my dainty little healer of a sister can almost beat him senseless when she has a mind to.

"What manner of creature is that My Lady?" Hezerial asked while looking up at me with wide eyes. I nearly laughed out loud at his honest question.