Chapter 27

Merianna

I whipped a pulse of energy through the rune that I had drawn on my hand. I had drawn a similar one on Jasnine's hand earlier and knew that she would feel my call for help through hers like a string of shivers running through her arm. It was something that Nelia and I had perfected through our rune studies together, and was originally cooked up so Nelia could let me know when dinner was ready in The Order's hall.

I could feel my energy traveling through the linked runes and knew that Jasnine had received it when my own tingled.

I couldn't exactly wait patiently for her to come along though. Flattened Merianna didn't have as nice a ring to it as Noch would think. Jumping into the shadows, I sprinted around the man's hulking form.

"You will have to try harder than that little one." He said with a positively evil smile that made his white teeth glare in the dark.

He whirled around the moment I was streaking past behind him. He lunged and grabbed my hand through the shadows, which all dissipated with my shock at his touch. I didn't have time to react before he whirled me around like a puppet and sent me flying into the cold fireplace. My head and back struck the rough stone with cracking force, and once again I went crumbling to the floor.

Cursing under my breath I coughed through the cloud of ash and I tried rolling out of the dusty debis.

Glaring up at the man I drew my short sword and aimed the tip at him while I sent another stronger pulse of energy through the rune again. Only to have the tingling of the rune suddenly stop short...

I gaped at what I knew Jasnine must have done...

That tramp erased her rune! She's leaving me on my own!

"That Skank!" I couldn't help but yell out loud.

The man gave me a puzzled are-you-crazy look. "What are you on about?"

"Nothing!" I yelled back indignantly. Jasnine promised that she would come and help the moment I gave the signal. Blast her! Curse her to the depths of Tartarus and back! May she burn with her lies!

I dove at the man with my sword, ready to fight with all my might. I needed something to take my frustration out on. It was probably not a good idea. This fight might be one sided and I might lose, but it would be satisfying beyond belief if I stood even a slight chance of winning.

Roaring out my frustration I swung my sword down on him. He was a mountain of a man, easily just as tall as Noch, which was 6 foot over the limit. This man's hair was as black as obsidian with eyes being a dull grey green that seemed to suck in any semblance of light. A strong featured face was shaped tastefully by a short trimmed beard.

Before my blow could connect with his ribcage a slash of shadows solidified in its path and stopped my momentum with a screech of metal.

I whirled back and readied myself again. The section of shadow in his hand was shaped like a solid sword. With the way that it deflected my blow, I wouldn't be surprised if it could cut right through me like one as well.

"You are well taught." He smirked. "Let me make a deal with you." My eyes and senses tracked his every step as he started circling around me. I was ready for any straight or sneak attack that he might strike with.

"A Black Nirn making a deal with a Witch? This is a historic event. Where is a scribe when you need one?" I retorted back while following his movements, taking one step away for every one of his advancing ones. Dread sank into my gut as I spied dark figures marching towards the building through the windows he moved passed.