Chapter 60

Merianna

I sat quietly in the back of Noch's office and listened closely to what was going on around me. It had only been one full day since the incident at the village, but I was surprised by how much has been done in that amount of time. It made me develop a newfound respect for Councilor Ferina. She maneuvered between giving input and sending out fire messages effortlessly; I marveled at how quickly she could switch between the two. I breathed a sigh of relief at the knowledge that Junnie was out and about on Ferina's orders. It left me free from harassment.

Although Junnie was out of my hair, Zerial stuck to me like tree sap on a branch since we got back. He even insisted in guarding my bedroom door while I slept, which I obviously refused adamantly, and he ignored. It still made no sense to me why Zerial would be my Guardian and act the way he always did, even though he explained to me how it happened, it still didn't feel real.

Currently, his bulk was taking up much of the corner I decided to inhabit. I didn't feel like being so close to the discussions this time around since the plan I hatched the last time got so completely thwarted.

The surrounding scene this time was just about the same as it was previously, many more senior members of the Order were in the small space this time around though. Which made the office feel even smaller. Noch had managed to use Dermon's blood in a locating spell and found him. The biggest problem that we faced right now though, was the fact that someone within the Order or the Council was clearly feeding our information to the target. And no one around us could think of a way to find out who it was exactly.

I was also at a loss as to what needed to be done in order for us to be able to move forward without getting stepped on again.

A plan was being formed for members to scout out the location that Dermon was currently in. Obviously Raska and Jasnine would be a part of that team. I was mostly just sitting in the back, thinking of the encounter I had with him. He was strong, it made me realise even more just how much Noch and Raska had been holding back in their training sessions with me.

I couldn't wait till I was able to fight on the same footing as the rest of them. I wanted to be able to fight against Dermon again. Losing that first fight was hurting my pride.I didn't mind losing against Noch and the others, but it hurt to have lost against an outsider.

"My Lady?"

I jerked in my seat and looked up at Zerial. "Sorry, did you say something?"

"I did not, my Lady, but Nochtandriel has been trying to get your attention." He said with a smile.

I looked over to where Noch was sitting with everyone else and finally noticed that they were all actually looking at me. "Sorry..." I said sheepishly.

"Now that I actually have your attention. I have something for you to do as well, Demon Spawn. While Raska's team heads out to scout Dermon's location, I need you to go back to the village and see if you can pick up on anything else he might have left in the area like that marker from last time. You might pick up something I missed." Noch said in one breath so I wouldn't have a chance to object through his explanation.

"Alright, when do you want me to go?"

"You have good senses and should be able to -, wait what?" Noch asked in surprise. I gave an irritated smile at the realisation that he had expected me to rebel at the request.

"Noch, you constantly forget that I am actually very reasonable. You just frequently tend to rub me up the wrong way." I snipped.

Councilor Ferina let out a laugh at Noch's exasperated face as everyone else snickered. They all knew how things tended to go between Noch and I. Noch gave a little smirk. "Well, there is one thing I forgot to mention."