Chapter 80

Merianna

I shouldn't have thought like that. I might've jinxed myself...

The sky was darkening at an alarming pace, the thick clouds overhead only served to bring the darkness sooner. My heart was thrumming in my chest with fear. It made me glad that Zerial's aura had somewhat healed my previous wounds. The way I saw it, there was no way that we would be able to get out of here anytime soon.

I had heard through one of Fog's previous lectures before that souls were one of the purest forms of raw natural energy anyone could find. But because a soul is a form of ourselves without a body, it was strictly forbidden to ever touch or use any spells or incantations that would require souls as a source of power. That would cause a soul to be destroyed and never have any hope of being reborn again. There were weapons like Noch's previous staff that had living souls forged into them, but those were far and few between. The individual must give their consent to such a procedure and fully understand what it was they were getting themselves into. Being a sentient weapon for all of eternity only to serve the purpose of being wielded by someone else wasn't an ideal existence to most. Not to mention, it was said that the process of forging a soul into a weapon was a unique kind of agony.

And here we were, with Junnie having been devoured by Dermon as a source of energy, and a newfound wave of demons descending on us. The power of souls was a lot more potent than I thought.

As Thyrion and Hezerial fought on either side of me, they made it clear that I was supposed to stay wedged between them and not fight. I knew that I was wounded, but this was getting a little stifling. Ara, Raska and Noch were all clearly having a Ball without needing to bother with protecting someone. Maybe I was in the way? A little? Maybe?

I clutched at my scythe around my neck. I hated to admit it, but I was a little outclassed in this battle. I reached out to Hezerial, ready to tell him to take me away from here so Thyrion can also fight comfortably, but I didn't have the chance.

"Not again!" was all I was able to shriek out before cold damp hands around my ankles were able to successfully drag me down this time.

Thyrion and Hezerial's yells were all I noticed before my breath caught in my lungs and blackness enveloped me again, like it did back in the caves. It was cold, icky. It made my whole body break out in goosebumps as I felt like I was being shot like an arrow from a bow. The speed made my head spin and nausea creep up my throat.

Thankfully, it didn't last for long. Before I could worry about needing to breathe in fresh air, I was practically spat out of the darkness and landed heavily on the rocky ground. Coughing, I quickly rolled onto my side and looked around. My heart plummeted when I saw Dermon standing over me with a smug grin on his bruised face. He looked as though he had just caught his favorite prey and was about to skin it right there and then.

"You Bastard!" Noch yelled from my left. He wasn't too far from us, but it looked like Dermon had left two General demons in his stead as he slipped away to catch me.

"Leave me alone, you creep!" I yelled and swung my expanding scythe up towards his smug face.

My scythe's momentum came to a sudden stop against Dermon's hand. The blade didn't even so much as nick his skin as he increased his hold on the blade. Black energy was snaking around the point of contact like a slithering mist.

"Sorry my dear, but I will not fall for your blows a second time." He grinned.

Changing tactics, I poured my lightning into the scythe. Intending to scorch him from the inside out with lightning. The crackling energy shot up through the handle faster than most would be able to see, but fizzled to a stop when it reached the blade. My eyes widened with dread as I stared into his cold eyes.