Chapter 34

Merianna

A bright golden white light suddenly jumped up between me and the Ripper, blinding me with its brilliance as I heard the creatures screech in terror and pain. The light was so intense and so bright that I expected my skin to burn straight down to the bone as it engulfed me and anything that was close enough to be touched.

I didn't burn... It didn't hurt me as it washed over and blinded me, even though I had covered my eyes with my arms, in fact my body felt numb. I could see nothing but white light as I cowered and continued to hear the Rippers screech and writhe through the foliage as a high pitched vibration rang through the air.

The vibrations gradually lessened and the brightness surrounding me started to dim.

Taking my arms away from my face I tried blinking to get them to adjust to the lingering brightness. I needed to see what was happening in front of me, for all I knew it could be a new threat.

I noticed that I had dropped the Rune Reaper somewhere during the chaos. I quickly scanned the floor by my feet and spied the staff of the Reaper in front of my toes. In the dimming light I grabbed the Reaper and held it ready in my trembling hands. The poison was still painfully working its way through my system, I could feel myself breaking out in a cold sweat as my stomach roiled.

The brightness dimmed enough for me to see the rippers in front of me, they had been ... burned alive. At least, that is what it looked like to me. Their black skin now looked dull and dried with blisters littering their bodies from head to toe, some even had holes on their bodies where sections burned right down to the bone.

I looked up in astonishment as the light took on a shape and dimmed even further. The shape took on the form of a tall man, maybe even taller than Noch. His head was blessed with an abundance of silky golden blonde hair that fell to his shoulders in a wavy drape. His broad back was turned to me as he continued to stare down at the mangled remains at his booted feet.

And on his broad back...

Was a pair of wings?

I blinked quickly and shook my throbbing head. I looked up at him again. Yes... there was indeed a pair of pearly white wings on his back. No they weren't strapped on. No they weren't an illusion (that I could sense anyway). And yes, they most definitely seemed to be a part of him. All speculations were reinforced by the fact that the wings furled open and closed against his back as he moved to turn around and look at me.

Oh my poor little bloodthirsty heart.

His eyes shone like the light blue diamonds that I had once seen Raska bring back from a bounty hunt. They glittered as if they held all the secrets of the ages. His face was strong with high cheek bones, soft lips and - I never thought I would think this - a handsome nose that finished off his whole face as a work of perfected art.

His stern face broke into a brilliant smile of joy as he saw me. I was pointing a Reaper in his face, and he was smiling...

"My Lady..." He breathed and suddenly moved closer to me. I stumbled back a step or two. Clearly something he didn't notice as he abruptly went down on one knee in front of me and bowed his head. His wings slightly drooped around him and touched the ground on either side of him.

"My Lady, I Hezerial, fallen archangel of the heavens, has finally returned to your side once again." He announced proudly.

Wait...

Fallen archangel?

As in, damned never to return to heaven again, angel?

With still snowy white wings???