Chapter 14

Beam plopped on the floor of the guest room which is now his own. He was trying to recall everything that Forth's parents have told him that even the smallest details weren't able to evade his sharp thoughts.

He made a mental list for all of it;

•Beam will go back to his rented place to settle his last payment and to personally give his landlord, words of gratitude.

He decided to just do that behind the Jaturapoom's back and get the money by continuing his work in the café for the meantime, until the examination.

• He'll be taking the entrance examination on Friday and he will be accompanied by Forth.

Just thinking about taking the exam, Beam's sanity is shaking. What's and what if's flooded his thoughts. What if the college won't permit me to take the examination late? What are the possible content or the entire coverage of it? What if I flunk? What if they deny me after realizing I'm a failure? I will be a disappointment.

•Beam will be visiting a psychologist in the request of Forth's worried mother in which he willingly abides. He himself wanted to know the explanation of why he can't remember anything from his childhood. Also, he chose to do it after taking his exam so that whatever may be the findings of his condition won't affect his performance and most importantly the result of the entrance exam.

Then again, being in his unusual situation, Beam's curiosity is at its highest level. He wondered about his grandfather. Will he love me? Is he nice? What if he is strict and scary? He thought.

He stood up before his overthinking got the worst of him. The young man took his bag pulling out a shirt and pants and started preparing to go to his endeavor. Entering the bathroom, he was fascinated. The area is large than his rented place. Everything inside is made of luxurious looking stones, marbles, and glass making Beam conscious of his every move. 

After an hour or two, Beam survived the dreading moments in the bathroom. He struggled to examine how those things inside work. From switching on the shower, brushing his teeth while struggling to open the I-don't-know faucet and finally getting out. He made sure to ask Forth's help next time, tutorials maybe😅.

He got out of the room and walked down the stairs to the living room where Marla was relaxing. Noticing Beam, she stood up and asked, "Beam, Can I have your number? Just in case, you know."

"Uhmm..M-mae, I don't have a phone." He answered directly. On the other hand, Marla was confused. How can a youngster survive without one? It's like the air of this generation. She thought but nonetheless convinced Beam to get one.

"Then, we should get one for you. You'll need it once you start at university." She told him while dragging Beam by his wrist. Does it run in the family? Forth always drag me and now his mother is doing the same. He smiled at the thinking about it.

"Mae, I still have to go to the café. I was already absent, yesterday." He informed.

"Okay, We will go there and talk with Mrs. Wong. Then we will be on our way to the mall." She answered quickly.

Arriving at the café, Beam greeted Grandma who was sitting at the counter.

"Pleasure to finally meet you, I'm Marla Jaturapoom. Thank you for taking care of our little one." Marla introduced herself to the older.

The elderly was confused and glanced at Beam who nodded with the 'I'll explain later' look.

"Beam is a kind lad. So, He was of great help." She replied, dearly.

"Grandma, where is Ai'Kitty?" Beam asked looking around trying to spot Kit.

"Silly Beamie😅, it's a school day. He has classes, remember?" The older woman countered with a muffled chuckle. "Do you have somewhere to go?" She continued.

Beam looked at Marla a back to Grandma, "But--" "No more buts. Don't worry na, I have someone to help me. Just go and enjoy." Grandma cut him off. He sighed and nodded.

After that, they left the café.

They were on the way to the mall. Marla initiated the conversation by asking, " How do you communicate with Melody if you don't have a phone? Nan is like hundreds of miles from Bangkok."

"I sent letters at least once a month. Just to let her know my situation and ease her worry." He answered but then he was flustered when the lady started laughing.

"Oh Gosh, I never ever experienced that😂. I had never laughed this hard for a long time." She said catching her breath.

Beam was almost upset but was relieved when he heard her. He made her laugh and that was enough reason not to be.

When they arrived at the mall, he just let Forth's mother pull him to anywhere. He did not complain though his scraped elbow is already healing. Marla brought him to a clothing store for men. He persuaded him to try on some stylish ones but he still ends up choosing the simplest and minimalist design.

Marla waited on the bench near the fitting room while Beam was trying on some of the clothes that she picked.

"Auntie!!" A cheerful voice from the side caught Marla's attention making her glance.

"Lam, how are you?" She asked approaching the guy. Lam is one of Forth's close engineering brothers.

"Doing great, Auntie. How about you? What are you doing here? Are you alone? Should I call Forth?---" His babbling was cut off when by Marla, raising her palm up and calming Lam down.

"Now breathe😅, I'm fine and I'm not alone. I'm with Beam so no need to call my ungrateful son." She answered the questions that she understood in Lam's fast speech.

By the time Beam came out, it was just Marla. Lam left after receiving a call from Marla's ungrateful son.😅

"Come on. Let's pay so we could get your phone and uniform."

"U-uniform? Mae, I haven't taken the exam yet." Beam mumbled.

"I know. You can nail it. You're a Baramee. It runs in your blood." She confidently assured Beam.