The Fresh Start

Beam's POV

I grew up surrounded with optimism and happiness. Living in the countryside was difficult. So, when I left the orphanage, I promised Ms. Melody that I'll come back, along with the better version of myself.

Ms. Melody is the head of the orphanage. She stood as mother not only to me but also to the other children there.

Its been three months since I came to the city to look for a job at the same time continue my studies. When I was in high school, I gave everything to get to the top of the academic awardees. I was hoping I could apply for a scholarship because I wanted to go to a prestigious university. It may sound ambitious but I've always dreamed of becoming a doctor. This will have to wait for a year or two.

As soon I got here, I started looking for work. I spent night in convinience stores or at stations. Taking showers in public comfort rooms. I can't use the money given to me, not until I found a job cuz' if I do I'll be starving.

After a week of strolling, I got accepted in a café. Mrs. Wong, the owner was a middle-aged woman. The only thing she asked for during the interview was the story of my life. So I told her about my life as an orphan. She is very kind and she told me to call her if I need anything. Funny thing was I don't have a phone. She told me that I'm a pretty man that is why she accepted me, to lure costumers to her café. I was very grateful.

Then I looked for a place to stay. I found a cheap one. It is located in the slums. I told the land lady that I'll take it. She was surprised. The place was comfortable enough for me although it is not spacious. There was a small bed, table and cabinet. It also have a bathroom, so there is no problem.

When I started working at the counter, Mrs. Wong was more than happy. Sometimes, I'm helping Kit, my co-worker , in serving orders. Let tell when we first met, I thought he is gonna scratch because like now he looks like a grumpy kitten.

One day, Mrs. Wong got sick and told us to close the café that day. Kit told me that it would be a waste if we do that so I told him I'll be baking. The costumers seems to like what I baked. When Mrs. Wong found out she was delighted. She gave me permission to bake.

Right then, I found people who trusted me and whom I'll trust. Mrs. Wong and Kit gave me the assurance that they will always be there for me. I know that I'll be able to survive.