Chapter 88 - What Do We Know?

It was Tuesday when the boys met up again. All of the after school clubs voluntarily took a week break, and most of the students that still remained at Cherryton went straight to their dorms or to the lounging areas.

    Bill and Pina sat in a quiet corner of the library, which was mostly empty, waiting for Legosi and Louis.

    "Wonder what was so important yesterday that Legosi called off the meeting," Pina spoke into his hand, which propped his face up as he leaned forward onto the table.

    "I have no idea. Isn't this, like, the most important thing right now?" Bill blinked.

    "It's the most important thing right now! Thank you, Billy!" Pina reached over and scratched one of the carnivore's cute, round ears.

    He smiled, murring. "Do you just wanna ask them when they get here?"

    "I dunno, isn't that nosey? Well, scratch that, I'm a nosey dude. I'm definitely gonna ask."

    "We were supposed to meet yesterday! I know I'm not the best at working, but they can't put it off again."

    "Exactly! I'm glad you're on board. Will make things easier if we have to cut those two off."

    "Cut them off?"

    Pina stuck his tongue out in thought as he realized his wording was a bit extreme. "If they don't quite work out. If it gets to be too much for them, y'know?"

    "There's no way we can do this with just us," Bill shook his head.

    "It would suck, but I think we can," Pina murmured.

    "No one else has..."

    "Yeah, well, nobody else is me."

    "Easy on the confidence..."

    Pina grumbled. "What, so you can hog it all? Carnivores are the ones who have too much..."

    "No! So it doesn't get you hurt!"

    At that moment, a tall, lanky gray wolf appeared from behind a bookshelf with a small red deer close behind him.

    "Ah, the truants arrive," Pina chewed on the pencil he had with him.

    Louis sighed. "Sorry about cancelling yesterday, we had some important stuff to do."

    "I dropped out of school," Legosi said bluntly as he plopped into a chair across from the two.

    "What?" Bill's eyes grew wide.

    Pina's face actually had a flicker of concern. "But...what about the investigation?"

    "Me and Louis are staying until the end of the school year. Gon-san said it was okay. We just have to catch the killer before then."

    "And he knows?!" the young tiger exclaimed.

    "Yeah, he knows I'm dropping out. We had to get him to do the paperwork."

    "Not that, you idiot! Did you tell him about what we're doing?" Pina could barely keep the exasperation from his voice.

    Legosi's ears drooped as he retreated back in his seat. "O-oh. No, he doesn't know about that."

    Louis looked between them. "What's wrong with you two?"

    Pina gawked at the deer. "What?"

    "Why are you acting all weird?"

    The sheep blinked, looked over at his boyfriend, and then back at the other two animals. "Weird? I'm being weird? Okay, whatever. Let's just get on with this."