Chapter 47 - Instinct Takes Over

Louis got up and went into the kitchen, opening the oven and looking at the pie he had been baking. "It looks like the picture..."

    Legosi rolled off the bed and followed him, leaving the game on his win screen. He walked up behind him, admiring his work. "Wow! Louis, that's amazing for your first try!"

    Louis smiled. "Does it smell good?" He began taking it out.

    "It smells amazing!" Legosi was so excited, it was adorable.

    The deer put it on the stove, steam rising from the fresh dessert. "Well, we don't know how it tastes, yet."

    Legosi licked his lips. "I'll get the plates and forks while it cools!" He set off, putting everything on the counter. He poured themselves some glasses of water as well.

    Louis watched him, admirably. "Just be careful not to dig in too fast."

    Legosi eyed the pie hungrily, waiting for it to cool. He twiddled the fork in between his fingers, nimbly.

    After a few minutes, Louis put it on the counter and grabbed a big knife. "How big of a slice do you want?" He looked at Legosi, who was waiting eagerly. It was exactly what he wanted to see when his boyfriend found out he had surprise pie.

    Legosi held his left index finger against the thumb and index finger of his right hand, making quite a big triangle with it.

    Louis looked back down and cut about that size of a slice out and placed it on his plate. He leaned down and looked at the apple filling, golden and beautiful. "It better taste good, considering how it looks."

    Legosi took a forkful of pie, holding it up to his mouth and wrapping it up in his long tongue. He chewed, his eyes closed. Were those...tears?

    Louis watched closely. "So...?"

    Legosi let out a puff of air, a high pitched sound coming out as well. "It's so good. It's so good!" He went in for another bite.

    Louis smiled and served his own slice, then took a bite. "I'm relieved."

    Legosi's tail wagged when he saw the deer take a bite. "What do you think? How's it taste?"

    "I did a great job, for once."

    "You always do a great job!" Legosi ate some more while also keeping an eye on Louis' plate.

    Louis ate another bite. "I keep messing up! Usually."

    "Well, I don't notice! I love your food." Legosi had finished his slice, so he opted to lean on the counter, staring at Louis with a half-lidded gaze.

    Louis looked down at his pie and picked off another bite. "It took a lot longer to make than the soup."

    "It is a bit more complex, so it makes sense. I love desserts." He licked his lips. He wanted to go for another slice, but he was afraid any movement he'd make would disturb what was happening...

    Louis' eye found Legosi's, seeing they were half-lidded. "What's that look for?"

    Legosi smiled, eyes darting away. "You're...beautiful."

    Louis swallowed his piece. "You're not so bad yourself." He ate another bite.

    Legosi went back to staring. This was the most he had seen him eat...ever? Was it really? Legosi couldn't remember. He thought back to the dinners Louis had at the fountain. They were never big meals. And they were never really touched.

    Louis inspected his pie again. "It's nice and flaky, which is just how I wanted. I was worried the dough might be too chewy."

    "You really did do a great job!"