Chapter 78 - Just Checking In

Back in the kitchen, Legosi looked down at the counter. This still seemed too surreal to accept. Why did this have to happen? Why was nobody doing anything? What in the world would they be able to do to help? He felt lost. Part of him wanted to seek comfort from Louis, but he knew the deer would be feeling the same things. Maybe he could call grandpa? But he would definitely worry him if he told him what they were doing.

"Oh...I haven't called grandpa...even though I said I would try to..." Legosi muttered so Louis would hear.

Louis looked at him. "How about we do that and leave these two to...this?"

The wolf looked at the other two animals, who were spooning and stroking each other. It was a cute sight. He nodded.

"Outside or bathroom?"

"Bathroom. It's still snowing after all."

They left to the bathroom and Louis sat down on the toilet lid.

Legosi brought his phone out and called Gosha, putting it on speaker.

Luckily, the lizard picked up. "Hello! Legosi?"

"Hi, grandpa!"

"Hi, grandfather," Louis added.

"Oh!" A smile, growing wider, could be heard in the old animal's voice. "Hello, Louis! This is good timing, since it's snowing too hard for me to do any work today."

Legosi responded; "Yeah, I almost forgot to call you...it's been a few days already."

The herbivore leaned in. "We miss you!"

There was a pause on the other end. "I miss you too! The house seems emptier than it ever has..." The lizard coughed. "Well, I'd love to go out to lunch with you two sometime."

Legosi smiled and nodded, although now that he thought about it, it was strange that he hadn't called sooner. Did he not hear about the murder?

"We are a little caught up right now," Louis explained. "Maybe after?"

"Well, yes of course, I just meant down the road," he chuckled. "So...after the school year, do you mean?"

"What? You won't have to wait that long!" the cervid smiled.

"Oh. Okay then. Just let me know." The voice on the other end was so kind, as always.

Legosi just looked at Louis with wary eyes.

"So...how are you, sir?"

There was a sigh. "Well, I've been working, of course. Tomorrow is Saturday so I'll be going back to the daycare. I bought some more books for them."

Louis' brows raised. "Will Lee be there?"

"Why, yes! He's there every Saturday."

The deer smiled and looked at his fiance.

Legosi looked back, not saying anything.

"Hello? Hello, can you two hear me?" Gosha called into the phone.

"Yes, we can hear you, Gosha-san," Louis said.

"Do you want to come back tomorrow?"

"You mean come back to the daycare?" A light came to the buck's eyes.

"Is that what that silence was?" the lizard asked.

Louis looked to Legosi and whispered; "Should we...?"

The canine looked toward the door. "What about those two?"

"And the...yeah..."

"Well, the killer isn't back on campus yet, so they would have no idea about us. I am still worried, though, since we're all associated with the drama club still..."

"Shhh, shh!"

"It's okay if you two are busy. I know Legosi needs to focus on his studies."

"Sorry, grandfather," Louis sighed. He didn't hear. Thank god...Right?

Another chuckle. "It's quite alright! I've got it under control! No need to worry about me."

The deer nodded. "We'll definitely be seeing you soon."

"Yeah, it was good talking to you!" Legosi added.

"It was! I'll let you two go, now. Bye-bye!"

"Bye, grandfather!" Louis cooed.

"Byee!"