Chapter 71 - Some Things Change and Some Things Stay the Same

Louis woke up before Legosi did once more. The sex must have worn the poor wolf out. He sat up and stretched, then moved away and got dressed. Maybe he could make breakfast again. He walked out tiredly and went into the living room.

    Gosha was sitting on the couch, watching what appeared to be old VHS footage. He turned to see Louis walk in. "Oh, good morning!"

    The deer grinned, blinking sleepily. "Morning, Gosha-san."

    "You sleep well?" The lizard paused the video, smiling warmly.

    He nodded. "I did."

    "Glad to hear it!" Gosha continued to smile at the deer. On the television was a single frame of what looked to be a park.

    "What are you watching?" Louis asked, sitting down on the couch.

    The older animal looked back to the screen. "I'm just watching some home movies me and Leano took. Having Legosi back has made me feel nostalgic."

    "Doesn't it make you sad?"

    Gosha hit play on the recording. Leano walked into frame, holding a little puppy Legosi by the hand with her finger as he hobbled along. She looked so elegant as she moved. "It would be much sadder if I forgot all of this happened..."

    The camera moved down to where Legosi was walking. "Wow, he's getting pretty good! Oh, back up, dad! It's okay! You're doing so good, Legosi!" the hauntingly beautiful voice of Leano spoke, full of life and energy.

    Puppy Legosi stared at the camera with huge eyes. "Ba ga baba." He moved forward, his tiny paw covering the lens.

    Louis cracked a smile. "I knew there was a reason I loved canines."

    "Oh, they're wonderful!" Gosha looked ahead, wistfully.

    The scene switched, now inside the very room they were in. Little Legosi's stubby body sat in the middle, sitting next to a younger looking Gosha, looking at a book on the floor. Leano, now behind the camera, walked over to the two and crouched down. Legosi looked up into the camera, and immediately began to whine, his tiny body moving up and down with each whine.

    "Oh, he always gets like this when I hold the camera!" Leano complained.

    "It's because he wants to see your face! Here give it to me."

    The camera switched users, and Legosi's face immediately brightened at the sight of his mother. She had something behind her back.

    "Have something?"

    Leano nodded, and revealed a toy windup beetle. Legosi cooed at the sight of it, reaching his fat arms out for it. The mother wolf wound the toy up and set it loose. Off it went across the floor, baby Legosi crawling off after it, babbling and squealing.

    Louis sighed, admirably. "I'm going to marry that wolf."

    Gosha wiped his eye. "Oh, wasn't he so cute?"

    "He still is."

    The dragon chuckled. "Well, of course! He's certainly stretched out a bit. I think he kept the same amount of fat he had as a baby and just grew around it, to be honest." Gosha looked back over to Louis. His wide collar t-shirt revealed a mark near his neck with dried blood on it, which was definitely not there the previous day. He smiled and looked back toward the TV. So he didn't imagine those noises last night.

    Louis sighed. "He was beautiful even when he was a pup."

    Soon, the wolf himself trudged down the hallway, sleepily rubbing underneath his shirt and yawning.