Chapter 127

In the afternoon, Minglan sent Changbai a recommendation letter along with Chang Nian's article. In the letter, she asked if Changbai would have time to meet this little boy.

After that, Minglan started to count.

The officials in the ancient times attached great importance to the time when they started work, but didn't care about the time when they got off work. However, Changbai, as an official in the Imperial Academy, was afraid that he might be summoned by the emperor at any time. So he never dared to get off work early. Therefore, even though Changbai had the time to meet someone, he had to do that on his days off. It would take lots of days before he could find a suitable school and recommend Nian to the school.

Next, Minglan called all the stewards and servants over to give them instructions. After making sure everyone was clear about their own duties, she claimed that Mama Cui would take charge of the things they couldn't handle during the days she was absent and they could also send someone to report the important things to her on the post-horse if it was necessary.

"You are all experienced ones. I believe you can do things well with or without me being here." Minglan sat upright smilingly and continued, "When I get back, I'll check on everything."

The men and women in charge were all clear about Minglan's words. Right now, most of them only stayed in their position temporarily. If they didn't behave well during Minglan's absence, they might be dismissed from their posts. As thinking of that, they kept nodding to Minglan.

After that, Minglan kept Mama Hua and Liao Yong's wife to talk.

"You only have one job, that is to take care of the House of Cardamon Fragrance." Minglan said to Mama Hua softly, "Especially Rong. If she gets sick, invite Doctor Zhang from Lily Grass Hall and report to me right away."

Mama Hua praised Minglan inwardly, 'Nice move. She asked me, a servant who has been sent by Old Madam Qin, to look after the two women and the girl in the House of Cardamon Fragrance. If anything happens to them, Old Madam would also be implicated.' She glanced at Liao Yong's wife and thought, 'Don't know how many servants are monitoring me for Madam. If I dare to play tricks, I'll end up like Mama Lai.'

Under the circumstances like this, Mama Hua decided to devote herself to Minglan like Mama Tian. Then she replied to Minglan seriously.

"There's not so much for me to say to you." Minglan looked at Liao Yong's wife with a smile, "Just be careful."

Liao Yong's wife put on a stern look and said with her head lowered, "I've kept all of your instructions in mind, Madam and informed the people who work in the stable. If anything important happens, you will know about it within two hours."

Liao Yong's wife was clear about her situation. She was not like the servants who had worked in Gu family for years. Even if those servants made mistakes, they would merely be sent back to their homes for the old time sake. As for the new servants like her, they had been sent to Cheng Manor as the servants from guilty officials' families, which made their reputations already bad enough. If they made any mistakes, Minglan could sell them right away while no one would criticize her of being mean.

What's more, Minglan who had just moved into the Cheng Manor must be short of hands and needed new servants. At this moment, the ones who gave out great behaviors would definitely be promoted. Also, Mama Cui was aged and deficient in energy. Cuiwei was still too young. If Liao Yong's wife could do her job well and gain Minglan's trust, she would be in the important positions for at least ten years.

Liao Yong's wife made a decision secretly that she would take great care of the mansion.

The busy preparing work still hadn't been finished until dinner. Danju was still commanding the maids to pack up the suitcases. The things that were loaded onto the coach included the clothes, jewelries, vessels, stoves and even the round wooden bucket for bathing.