Chapter 3

Quan Prefecture is located at Minnan, people great things abundant. Sheng Hong took post here in the government sub-prefect for many years, managing the division of salt, food, river conservancy works, irrigation works as well as tidying up military records, pacifying the people etc.

There are many achievements, these few years, changed position thrice in the prefecture magistrate and he rose in rank. Sheng Hong knows how to conduct himself with integrity, and get along with the local officials. News came that His ExcellencySheng is to be promoted, everyone is vying to arrange a feast to send him off these few days. It is not convenient for Sheng Hong to evade, dinner parties day after day, packing up and dressing the family for travel is entrusted to Madame Wang shi.

These few days, the household's servants and housekeepers are as Crucian Carp shuttling between Wang shi's residence and the east courtyard. Wang shi's melancholy for several years swept away, extremely busy. This afternoon, Wang shi roughly arrange the matters, called a few personal servants to check on the remaining item names and then entered into the inner side room to speak with Housekeeper Liu Kun.

A big square couch leans against the wall, spread with a delicately weaved blanket, a mass of thin silk brocade. On top, two about five years old girls are deep asleep side by side, two first class maids keep watch by the side of the couch, on the low stools gently fanning them. Upon seeing Wang shi entering the room, they immediately stood up to greet. Wang shi waved her hands, signifying not make noise disturbing the two girls' afternoon nap. Walking directly to the couch, seeing a girl round and plump, lovely and innocent while sleeping, very likeable. Wang shi cannot help but relax her brows and looked at the other girl, unexpectedly her feature are born elegant, just pale in the face, obvious that she is lacking in spirit and blood, the whole body is utterly frail. In a dream yet wrinkling the brows, Wang shi lightly sighed and tucked the two girls in, thin brocade blanket afterwards walking to sit at angle on the rattan chair.

Housekeeper Liu Kun called the two maids to go outside and watch the door, she then walked before Wang shi. Searching for a round stool to sit down but was halted by Wang shi and invited to sit by her side on the rattan chair. Housekeeper declined and then sat down.

"Madame have put into a lot of trouble these few days, busy in and out. Looks like things are more or less packed. This morning, Dengzhou sent a letter saying that the household has been tidied up, only waiting for Master and Madame to move in. I must say, this First Master Wei and my family's Master although are cousins, actually closer than usual blood brothers. Also do not know how much money did First Master Wei spent, this sentiments is greatly expressed." Housekeeper Liu Kun lively said.

"Master Wei's father and my late father-in-law that passed away are brothers born from the same parents. The ages between Master and Master Wei are similar, formerly studied together at Duke Ling's home study. After the home study, they again accepted under Cabinet Yang. Oh at that time Cabinet Yang was still a scholar at Hanlin Academy. Also at that time Old Master Uncle was pampering a concubine, completely ignoring the misery of Master Wei and mother. My family's Old Madame rather watched over that sister-in-law and nephew. Because our Master is originally concubine-born, was not raised before Old Madame also was not easy. This caused him and Master Wei to empathise with each other as fellow sufferers, the two brothers' thick bond cannot be more. Although Master Wei has not taken up an official post yet managing the house appropriately. Extremely thick family wealth, not attaching importance to money. Master and my maiden family's older brother are officials, able to look after his descendants, spending some money on him it is nothing." Wang shi considerably pleased with herself.

"Madame thinking in your heart this way, by all means must not say such words in front of Master. Must be extremely grateful towards Master Wei's generous intentions and do not always mention Madame's maiden family. Do not forget that time, how Concubine Lin fan the flames, stirring up trouble." Housekeeper Liu Kun sees that Wang shi's old weakness is acting up, hurriedly reminded.