Chapter 34

As things went uncontrollable, Cuiwei just gave up and led Danju and Xiaotao to safely guard Minglan's main room, turning a blind eye to other situations. At a time, the House of Clear Dusk was in a complete mess without any binding rules. Lower level girl servants imitated adult servants, either hanging out or visiting other courtyards to chitchat. Only Yancao and a few others performed their duties and earnestly did their work, which could be attributed to Fang Mama's effective training for these years.

The competition between women in the Mansion lied in patience, which Minglan had while others didn't. The first impatient one coming over was Liu Kun's wife who suggested and indicated that Minglan should discipline the girl servants in her House.

Minglan responded naively, "They are nice. Did they do anything wrong?"

Liu Mama swallowed a great deal of anger and struggled to answer, "Mei'er showed a cold-face to first young lord and you never educated her. This is tolerable, but there are other girls that dress up gaudily and wander about to gossip!"

Every day, the way Changbai went to school was just a few steps away from the House of Clear Dusk. Cuiwei, Danju and a few others seamlessly guarded Minglan from nuisance, so Yinxing, with her zeal unable to release, waited at the door every day with her neck stretched long, stepping forward to greet Changbai whenever she saw him and vigorously invited him into the House of Clear Dusk. Changbai was so annoyed by her, so he complained a little. Hearing this, Liu Kun's wife, who assisted Madam with domestic affairs, was startled at once and hurriedly reprimanded Yinxing, who recently turned very grumpy and even talked back, "Mind your own business, Mama. I'm now sixth young lady's hand. She never criticized me. Why should you be so officious?"

Liu Kun's wife was blown up but Minglan embarrassedly mumbled, "Yinxing was just being hospitable. On the other hand, she was sent here by Madam. How can I not save her face?"

Liu Kun's wife walked away resentfully. Danju was eager, "My lady, we can deal with the bitches now!"

Minglan smiled and shook her head, "Not yet."

Two days later, Wang shi detained Minglan after morning greetings and scolded her, "Your servants are behaving increasingly outrageous. The girl called Ke'er should pull and touch your third elder brother on his way. You should discipline her!" In fact, what Wang shi had in mind was Yinxing who appeared in front of Changbai more frequently.

Minglan continued to play the stupid, "Ke'er originally came from third elder brother's house. He gave up the girl he favored and sent her to my place. I'm afraid he will be angry at me if I punish her." Wang shi, hating Minglan for being so timid, tried hard to encourage Minglan in disciplining servants but the latter made no respond except for bobbing her head in hesitation and suspicion.

Propping Minglan's arm and walking out from the main yard, Xiaotao said in excitement, "My lady, now that Madam has ordered, we can punish the uneducated maids now!"

Minglan still smiled and answered, "Just be patient and wait."

Counting the days one by one, Minglan finally saw the day coming when Sheng Hong had a day off. The whole family went to greet Old Madam and Minglan deliberately dressed herself up carelessly. After curtseyed to Old Madam, everyone sat down in order based on age. Old Madam Sheng pulled a sullen face and sat up in silence. Seeing Old Madam Sheng's unhappy face, Sheng Hong asked the reason for her bad mood.

Old Madam Sheng pointed to Minglan and fumed, "Ask your sixth girl. Her House of Clear Dusk is almost overturned by a batch of uncourteous servants. Rectify it!"

Sheng Hong was stunned, "What do you mean by this, mother? Minglan, what happened?"

Minglan who looked like a useless girl stood up cautiously. Wang shi got alert because she knew recently the House of Clear Dusk had been chaotic, which many of the old servants had reported to her. Old Madam Sheng would know the situation sooner or later, but Minglan never asked Old Madam Sheng to prop her up, a thing made Wang shi feel satisfied with Minglan.