Chapter 23

Coming to this era, only to find out the gap between the modern and ancient times was far beyond imagination . An ancient girl's first priority is to marry and then become a mother – this was the old life – but in the modern times learning is the priority . Females have to think for themselves, manage house affairs, reason things out, learn how to reading and writing; and all this is just in preparation for a larger goal, a better future.

Molan reciting poems now is not to have a brighter future, rather, it is so that she can be counted as an capable lady, which increases her value in the marriage market and/or to please her spouse after marriage . Rulan learning basic accounting from an accounting book wasn't because she wanted to become accountant but to be able to managed the family business and earn some money for the house . It's the same for Minglan who's learning the feminine arts – at least in the eyes of others.

As an young girl in ancient times, elders had started instilling the concept of marriage and its importance as opposed to grades and the importance of studying . When she was a child in the modern time Yao Yi always heard from her mother "You failed your mid-term test, beware if you can't even get into XX high school!" but now what she hears from her ancient mother, Cui Mama, "A water duck that needs four days to be embroidered [7], what would you do for your husband after the baby is alive? Don't think you won't be dismissed by the husband for not being capable of housework!".

Of course, this time the girls would be usually in a shy state but their hearts are very early to accept the concept of marrying, having children, to scheme against other girls and even plotting schemes in their hearts . So looking at Molan and Rulan, Minglan was not surprised . A husband for the ancient girls was not just loving or a lifetime ticket; it was the guarantee of their life and death.

Minglan did not feel weird about their attitude of pretending to be naive and having difficulties talking when the older brother was close –it's just that it's being pretentious but then again meeting a handsome teenager from a distinguished lineage; it would be hard not to plot schemes.

Minglan suddenly felt melancholy, life in Shou'an Hall was safe and warm but she could not stay there forever, ten years old was the checkpoint –it couldn't be that while they were all outside, socializing and finding a partner, she was still inside, hiding.

Before going to bed at night, Minglan was looking at a guqin score . Changbai's servant Han Niu ran towards her, carefully holding a blue and white shallow porcelain basin . Only after carefully placing it on the table was he relieved . He wiped away the sweat on his forehead: "Sixth Young Lady, Young Master wants you to take care of these two small fish . He said that since you want to study how to be a proper lady, looking after this will be good for your eyes."

Minglan went ahead to take a look inside the basin, and saw that the shallow porcelain pot was filled with two Koi that had a pattern of snow-like white and fire-like red on their scales . It had an elegant tail and when she looked at the bottom of the pot, she saw that it was also decorated with pebbles and water green grass. The water shimmered as the fish moved elegantly; their bright red scales and the green of the grass within the blue and white porcelain was a feast for the eyes . Minglan was overjoyed . Looking up at Han Niu, she said with a sweet smile: "This is really nice, go back and tell the Young Master that this younger sister likes it . Thank you very much... Danju, go and quickly give twenty coins – to Han Niu as a reward, carrying this basin all the way here with such care must be really tiring . ".

Han Niu was only eleven or twelve years old, upon hearing that there was reward money, his eyebrows raised in happiness while taking the money string [9] and repeatedly thanking Minglan. Danju then grabbed some fruits from the table and gave it to him and let Lu Zhi send him out.

Xiaotao who was still like a young child, upon seeing that Han Niu left, immediately went over to see the koi, praising how nice the kois were . When Danju went back and saw that both the master and servants were staring silly at the koi and poking it with their fat short fingers, she couldn't help but say in laughter, "Master is really careful, I heard that in his house there is such a big tank where a number of Koi are being raised, this pair should be from that tank."

Xiaotao looked up and giggled, "Danju sister, you're right . I was in the house of the first wife when I also heard it, this pair of koi is Young Master's very own favorite koi, usually no one was allowed to touch them, especially the fifth young lady . But this time, he actually sent two for our young lady. This is really strange."

Minglan did not speak as she, with her fat short fingers, teased the bellies of the two fat koi within the water . Secretly she thought, could this be a reward for what happened in the afternoon? If it was, that was also good, as it showed that older brother Changbai had a good personality . Being able to follow such a reasonable elder was indeed worthy of celebration!

She had to admit, Wang Shi's hit rate was still very high, there were at least two good bats out of three.