Chapter 22

As soon as Minglan finished speaking, everybody began to laugh . Mr . Zhuang's body shook as he laughed and his papers crumpled in his hand . The others were more subtle, holding in much of their laugher . Even Changbai, though shaking his head, joined in the laughter . There was even a light laughter that was clearly not from someone in the room . It seemed to come from beyond the curtain behind Mr . Zhuang, undoubtedly some naughty servant who had snuck into that room without permission .

The paused their laugher as they looked strangely towards the curtain . Changbai said with a deep voice, "Who's behind? How did you manage to trespass?"

In response, an adolescent walked out from behind the curtain . He was dressed in an long aqua blue shirt with its collar crossed and embroidered with silver thread . His hair, black as crows' feathers, was loosely held together with a jade crown . On his waist was a cerulean jade belt with a moon white purse, covered with sparking blue beads made out of tourmaline, shaped like a gourd [1] . He looked as though he had recently been outside as his shoulders had several pink peach blossom petals .

Upon seeing him, Mr . Zhuang chuckled, "Yuan Ruo, why did you come here? What about your mother?"

The juvenile stood in front of Mr . Zhuang before cupping his hands and bowed . After rising his head he said, "How do you do, sir? After parting ways in the capital, we can finally meet again today. My mother told me to wait outside yet, even after waiting for quite a while, you still didn't dismiss the class . I, this student, was very anxious and could wait no longer, thus I secretly entered through the back door on my own accord . Hope that the seniors here would not mind."

While saying so, he cupped his hands and paid respect to the Sheng children. The youth's deep red lips and white teeth created a gentle smile. His eyes were bright and eyebrows elegant . His posture was as tall and straight as a bamboo. Overall his appearance was akin to the rarest of all flowers in the country, when people see him, all would say 'such a beautiful boy!' .

By a look at the juvenile's attire, the Sheng children knew he was an important figure. They immediately stood up to show their respect to him. Mr. Zhuang waited for them finish before introducing his background. He was the only son of the envoy of the Salt Department [2], the second son of Qi Gong Gong. His mother is Xiangyang, also an only child and given the imperial edict to be titled as the dignified Pingning Princess .

His title is Qi Heng [3] and seemed to be one year younger than Changbai . A few years ago in the capital, he became Mr. Zhuang's' student but soon had to follow his father out of the capital due to work . Recently the Senior of Qi, under imperial order, needed to visit Deng Prefecture to inspect and rectify the salts . He estimated they need to stay for a while, so naturally his small wife accompanied him . Qi Heng heard Sheng Hong is sheltering Mr. Zhuang, so he asked his father to give a message notifying them of his visit .

Minglan noticed that Mr. Zhuang was very close to Qi Heng and feels that it's strange . These days while teaching, Mr. Zhuang's behaviour when talking is like patiently waiting at the door in disdain for Wang Gong [4] . He had once publically pointout that the Earl Household's children were 'stupid insects', something that no one else had dared to . She also thought the same and even Changfeng has said, "I guess Mr. Zhuang is really proud . I shall call you my senior for now on." in a laughing manner while bowing .

Mr. Zhuang points to Qi Heng and laughs, "This kid has a great family background . They're officials that don't take anything from donation, all they have is from their own hard work . Last winter they helped me get a heater for my broken cottage, as the Princess was anxiously walking to district masters to handle matters . "

Qi Heng's snow white skin was flushed a soft red, "Father often regrets not being able to take the exams and hopes that his descendants will have a better future. Luckily Old Madam Sheng invited Mr . Zhuang, Yuan Ruo can then only shamelessly impose."