Chapter 111

It was already three o'clock in the afternoon when Fifth Old Madam and her two daughters-in-laws left. Minglan didn't want to sleep anymore. So she came back to the room to get changed. After that, Xiaotao served a bowl of three delicacies warm soup with orecchiette. As Minglan drank the soup, she started to browse the personal files of each servant which had just been presented to her at the same time.

"I see our madam really love eating liquid food." Caihuan followed Xiaotao to clean up things in the Shao room (T/N: The room next to the main room). While they were working together, Caihuan said smilingly, "Luckily, you are good at cooking that."

Xiaotao bent over to gather all the clothes which had been dried in the noon. While she was folding the clothes one after another, she answered, "Speaking of this, Mama Qiu from our previous mansion is the best in this. The orecchiette she rolled out is so chewy. I only have a smattering of her skills."

"There are so many things for me to learn." Caihuan took the iron which had already fulfilled with charcoal and asked, "Should we iron the clothes here?"

"No, let's go outside to do it." Xiaotao, with her voice lowered, carried a pile of clothes and went out gently. Then she stopped at the front door of the side room.

Only until then did Caihuan remind of something and say, "Is it inappropriate for us to leave madam alone in the room?"

Xiaotao picked up a piece of snow satin underwear and spread it on the board slowly, "This is our lady's rule. Unless there are guests in the room, she prefers to stay alone. Because she doesn't like others walking around in her room."

Caihuan kept that in mind and then asked, "What if she needs tea or something else?"

"Xiaotao took over the iron and began to iron the clothes while saying, "So normally one of us would stay in the room next door. If our lady needs anything, she would call us. Let's finish the ironing quickly and go to the Shao room."

After Caihuan had hesitated for a while, she still found that rule a bit strange. Then she asked, "Then... what if Master needs anything?"

Xiaotao, feeling that question rather strange, raised her head and asked, "Why should we care about what Master needs?"

Being contradicted by Xiaotao, Caihuan gave out an awkward smile and said, "You are right. As our madam's maids, we should always put her needs in the first place."

In the late afternoon, the dark clouds suddenly gathered overhead, which covered half of the sky. Then a sudden clap of thunder sounded from the distance, following which were a heavy downpour. The giant raindrops fell so rapidly as if they were poured onto the ground.

Seeing the rain becoming like a torrent now, Minglan turned around and patted on Xiaotao's shoulder while praising, "Luckily you have already picked up the clothes this afternoon. You do have a prophetic eye." Xiaotao who knew nothing about being modest nodded and said, "Madam, I think you are right."

Then Minglan taught Xiaotao patiently, "No, you should say, 'You have taught me well, madam."

Xiaotao learned very quickly and even added her own words, "You have taught me well, madam. You are the one who has a prophetic eye!"

Minglan nodded smilingly as her commendation to Xiaotao.

"And did your prophetic eye tell you that your husband would be exposed to the rain?"

A scornful voice of a man sounded at the door. Minglan and Xiaotao both turned around. Then they found Gu Tingye standing at the door like a drowned rat with water dropping from his red silk court suit with Qilin patterns. The ground where he was standing were full of water right away.