Chapter 41

Everything went well even though it was the first time for Old Madam Sheng to matchmake and Madam Kang went to see Changwu in person. The big sister Wang had enough of the coward scholars who was arrogant, lust and incompetent. So, she liked Changwu at first sight, who, straight and impressive looking, was quite amicable and good natured. Although he was not very fair and delicate, he looked very upright and honest. Therefore, Kang Family agreed to be in-laws with Sheng Family just in late Spring. And given that the two of them had already passed the right age for marriage, their families were in full accord to let them get married as soon as possible.

[T/N: Here Madam Kang is Wang shi's sister who is married to the Kang family, so she is usually addressed Madam Kang, meaning Kang's wife.]

While all went well here, Yu Family was suffering a lot. Although Cabinet Yu had resigned for years, he still got contacts in the capital city. No matter how many good words Juzhu Pingning said for the son of Marquis Ningyuan, information got after several rounds of investigations didn't indicate it a good match. This was just like what Molan had said – the second son of Marquis Ningyuan was really "eccentric and temperamental".

He not only was brought up to be arrogant and domineering, but also galloped recklessly on the streets, a real troublemaker who always hung out with the black sheep of other titled families. When a little bit bigger, he even hung around with those extremely low-level vagabonds and tramps, going whoring and making actresses his mistresses, which really caused a total mess. With much ado, Gu Family finally got him engaged, but no one expected that he was dissatisfied with this engagement.

And knowing the old marquis couple wouldn't let him break off the engagement, he even went so far as to go directly to the family he engaged to on the day when they were holding a big banquet and mocked them so hard right in front of their guests that members of that family almost died with shame. Naturally, the engagement dashed to pieces. And since then on, those decent families in the capital city dared not to marry their daughter to him. Gu Family felt so anxious that they had no choice but to find in-laws outside of the capital city.

Minglan looked out of the window with frowned eyes. For Yanran had no other person to complain to, she invited Minglan to her mansion every three or five days to talk about the information collected by Cabinet Yu and about her feelings. But there was only terrible news, one after another. And according to the latest news, that guy seemed to be a gay and got rather close with male descendants of some titled families who were known for fond of man, saying they even hung out at the brothel with male prostitutes only.

Geeze! As a professional court reporter, Minglan knew it clearly that the reality was no fantasy. Rotten people were rotten and there weren't so many unsaid stories or people returning to the fold as people thought of. It was the same for being gay and it was never an easy thing to make a gay ungay. Didn't you see how tragedy the life of the noted Mishima Yukio's wife was? His wife, also with the dream of changing him from gay to straight, married him. But the result? Even after having two sons, Mishima Yukio was still a world-renowned gay.

In those few novels about boy's love she read in her previous life, the love between the male protagonists was really soul-stirring and touching, while the female characters were almost all cannon fodders. But it was just professed love of what one feared. Not a single girl reading novels about boy's love was willing to marry a gay!

Minglan, apparently, didn't want a gay husband and presumably, nor did Yanran.

This day Minglan was again invited to Yu Mansion. Holding the red-eyed Yanran in arms, they talked and cried for quite a while. Recently, Cabinet Yu (Yanran's grandfather) and Lord Yu (Yanran's father) argued fiercely. Cabinet Yu wanted to break off the engagement but Lord Yu strongly disagreed and even claimed that the marriage of children should be up to the parents, implying that this was none of Cabinet Yu's business! Cabinet Yu just gave "Okay" as response, but he then sent his son, Lord Yu, an unsigned certificate of divorce, claiming that his daughter-in-law was disobedient and unfilial, and asked his son to sign on the certificate to divorce her.