Chapter 148

After Minglan had seen Gu Tingye off, she started to listen to the reports from those Mamas: The walls between the two mansions had been demolished. As long as the wood and bricks were delivered, the construction work could start... The wages have already been distributed. A few accounts seemed wrong... The cotton and the cloths had already been purchased. The servant in charge of this asked Minglan to check the products. The servant who did the needlework told Minglan that tomorrow was the time for making winter clothes for everyone in the mansion... The servants who worked in the construction site came to report the expenses... There were also some people asking for Dui cards as usual. All those trivial matters were handled by Minglan one by one patiently.

As she turned around, she saw Danju checking the accounts by the window. These years, Danju had got more and more masterly in reckoning by the abacus. It only took her a short while to finish checking the accounts.

Liao Yong's wife had lots of acquaintances, so she had already chosen several young men who were great choices for husbands. Then, the engagement of the maids was put on the agenda. Some of the young men were from the rich families, some were from the peasant families which possessed lots of farmland, while some were the sons of the stewards in the mansion. The maids who married into those families would have their own servants after getting married. After the New Year's Eve, the shopkeepers in other cities would also come to the Gu's mansion. By then, Minglan would try to find if there were anyone among them who was outstanding or had outstanding sons.

This really gave Minglan a headache. When she wanted to ask Danju's personal opinion, the latter only blushed and ran away. Minglan then caught the girl and forced her to answer, but Danju got angry at once and refused to talk.

"Madam, it's your fault. No girl in this world will comment about her future husband and marriage." Mama Cui laughed.

Minglan, face wrinkled, said, "She'd better tell me that. Otherwise I would not know what kind of man she likes, the gentle ones, straight-forward ones, steady ones, talkative ones or considerate ones. This matters most in her life, why is she so shy about it?"

What if Danju and her husband didn't get along after they got married? Eh... maybe Minglan had thought too much.

"At that time, Old Madam Sheng also worried about the marriage of her maids too. Madam, you and Old Madam are so alike. The maids in this mansion are truly lucky." Mama Cui looked at Minglan with a gentle and kind look in her eyes. Minglan who was inexperienced in this area was afraid that she couldn't pick a good guy for Danju, so she had asked Mama Cui to help. Judging from the men Mama Cui had chosen for her own nieces, she had certain dependability in this area.

"Madam, don't worry. I have watched her and Xiaotao grow up. I won't let you down." Mama Cui said.

After Mama Cui dismissed herself, Minglan lay on the Xiangfei couch with an account book in her hand, seeming to be reading a collection of poems, while falling in a daze with her eyebrows knitted. Actually, Qinsang was the one who saved Minglan a lot of work. A few days ago, Qinsang's family came over from the countryside far away and asked the steward to tell Minglan that Qinsang was old enough to get married. They wanted Minglan to allow them to buy Qinsang's freedom back. Then Minglan agreed to meet them right away.

Qinsang's parents and her elder brother all looked honest in frugal and clean clothes. At first, they walked into the room with terror. The moment they saw Minglan, they knelt on the ground and started to cry bitterly, which frightened Minglan at once.

Then, Minglan asked them what kind of man they had found for Qinsang. As she knew the character and the family background of the man, she finally let out a sigh of relief.