Chapter 62

After the incident, Minglan hadn't been troubled for quite a long time. Her father Sheng Hong acted nice and legitimate mother Wang shi showed her concerns. In addition, Rulan frequently came to talk with her. Seeing this situation, Old Madam Sheng couldn't help pulling Minglan by her ear and pretended to scold her with a smile, "You such a cunning girl!"

Flushing in red, Minglan was a little bit embarrassed with fingers of two hands clenched, "Grandma, aren't you sick of my calculation?"

Turning eyes to newly emerged green outside the window, Old Madam said in a rather slow speed, "The calculation in our house is to some extent moderate. You won't want to see the real calculation. Even things in a slush pit are cleaner than those vicious thoughts."

Minglan was depressed to hear that, "Is there any once-for-all solution? It's troublesome to remain cautious of any calculation at any time."

A faint smile sprawled Old Madam's wrinkled face, "Of course there is. However, you need to persuade yourself first."

Minglan was confused and Old Madam continued, "All your father asked are clear and easy to satisfy. Concubine Lin is no longer a young woman. Actually, all your Dimu needs to do is just to buy an amiable woman who knows about poems and don't give any chance for her to have babies."

Silenced for a while, Minglan signed, "Madam wouldn't agree. It's like piercing her heart with a sharp knife."

Old Madam replied in an ironic smile, "Then she has to live with it. If she is able to live with it for a while, she would buy herself a peaceful life, a sound and safe life!"

"What if she can't live with it?"

Seeing Minglan's sullen face, Old Madam said lightly, "Your elder grandma and I haven't ever thought of calculation. My self-esteem stopped me while she was kind-hearted. Later I couldn't bear with my life but she did."

Minglan silenced again. Grandma listened to her heart, fought back and was satisfactory for a while. However, later she was lonely and wretched for almost half of her life. Not a single one within the whole Sheng family was biologically related to her. Nevertheless, elder grandma endured great hardship, fought for decades and was now able to enjoy her late life with grandchildren surrounded.

Minglan signed slightly after she finally got grandma's message. If there should be one needed to die, apparently it was better anyone but me. To live a good life, men needed to be harsh on themselves while women needed to be harsh on others.

It was March by lunar calendar. Magpies chattered above on trees. Weather was rather pleasant with sun in the sky. Wang shi's mood was as good as the pleasant weather recently.

At first, there came good news of Hualan's pregnancy. And it was diagnosed by Old Madam He that the baby was a boy and was in good condition. Tears of joy prompted out of Wang shi's eyes. She started to prepare decent gifts and entrusted Old Madam Sheng to give the gifts to Old Madam He. Afterwards, she was busy donating silvers to both Taoist and Buddhist temples, which annoyed the abbot of Guangji Temple for he thought believers should adhere to one religion. Wang shi's act to him was like a woman married to two husbands and according to laws should be drowned to death! However, Wang shi was just worried for she didn't know which god was more helpful. She feared that if she only donated money to one god, the others would be irritated.

When Wang shi was troubled by the religion, Concubine Lin seemed to be haunted by bad luck. This time since she was totally grounded, she couldn't check her business as usual and issues occurred. It was hard to open a business in the capital city if you were not supported by high-ranking officials. Thus, she practiced usury. However, her business was involved in deaths of people and therefore revealed.