One Less Lonely Call

Closing my trig book, I leaned back in the chair exhausted. I still don't understand why this class thinks they needed to have a quiz every Monday. I mean am I supposed to spend every weekend studying. Pulling my legs to my chest, closing my eyes I listened to the silence. I kind of forgot how quiet the house could get when I was by myself. When it was summer, Catherine or the girls would stay over; and if not them then Zach would be here. Standing up, I stared at the 10:45 flashing on the clock. It was kind of late, maybe I should just head to bed.

......
......
......
Staring at the clock, it was now three o'clock and I just couldn't fall asleep. My mind was going over everything. We've been in school for three weeks now and it felt like everyone had kind of drifted apart. Catherine has joined the cheer-leading squad. Alice has joined the debate team, and Marie seemed to found a passion for photography. How this all happened in three weeks I have no idea, but like I said we are kind of drifting. When it comes to the guys, the most I see during the day is Terrell. When it comes to Zach, since he stopped walking me to class, the most I see him is a good four times a week.

Yes, we talk on the phone, but I miss seeing him all the time. I remember he said his classes kept him busy, but that didn't stop me from missing him. Rolling over, I grabbed my phone, before staring at the black screen. Would it be too late to call him? I wonder if he is asleep. Well it is three something and every normal person would be in bed by now. Suddenly my phone vibrated in my hand. Squinting my eyes, the brightness was kind of blinding in the darkness. Opening my phone, to see there was a message from Zach.

Zach
I bet you're asleep right now.

Slowly sitting up, I sat crisscross, before texting him back. Guess again. Sitting staring at the screen for him to text back, after three minutes, I flopped down on the bed.

Did he fall asleep?

Laying my phone by my head, I pressed my face into my pillow. I should just go to sleep. Maybe I'm bothering him. Taking a deep breath, I squeezed my eyes tightly, before my phone went off slightly scaring me. Picking it up, Zach was calling.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe."

The deep roughness of his voice made me think he might have been asleep.

"Did I wake you?"

"No, it's too loud to sleep."

"Too loud?"

"Yeah, my stupid Dad is having a gathering downstairs. It's almost four and they are still here, don't they know they're too old to be staying late like this."

I could hear the irritation in his voice. There are two things Zach doesn't play with: his food and his sleep. Smiling softly, it was on the tip of my tongue to tell him to come over because it's quiet here. Pushing the thought away, I sat up, before pushing the covers off.

"Well you know your Dad."

"Yeah, yeah."

Shaking my head, I went out my room going downstairs into the kitchen. Jumping up on the counter, I stared out the kitchen window. The moon looked so beautiful tonight.

"So enough bout me, why are you still up?"

"I don't know."

Letting out a sigh, I rubbed my eyes, before staring down at my legs.

"You ok, Melissa."

Opening my mouth to tell him I'm fine, but it felt like something was stopping me.