Uh oh Daddy's Mad

Once again, here I lay in the nurse office, as Zach and her talk softly. I don’t know if they thought I was sleeping, because my eyes were shut or what. Their soft speaking could be heard, but I couldn’t put together exactly what was being said. But besides that, I was also once again contemplating my life choices. Like how did this get so bad, and why did everything have to end up like this. Clenching my hand, it was beginning to become numb from the ice pack that I had pressed against my neck.

The soft touch to my cheek, had me snapping my eyes open and flinch away. Dropping the ice pack in the process, I watched as blue eyes formed from shock, to concern, before they became unreadable. Dropping his hand, he took a step back, and before I could reach for him, Nurse Candy moved into my view.

“How are you feeling Hun?”

Pushing myself into a sitting position, I returned her smile the best that I could.

“I’m alright.”

“No dizziness?”

“None.”

“Does it hurt anywhere?”

Moving my head around, and checking my arms and legs, nothing felt strange or unusual. Well except for the throbbing feeling of my throat.

“My throat kind of throbs.”

“It’ll hurt for a little while, does it hurt to talk?”

She soon had a concern look on her face, before lightly touching my neck. It really didn’t hurt to the touch, but my body automatically flinched away from her hand. If she wasn’t concern before, she was definitely concerned now.

“No, I can talk fine.”

Giving a small nod, she was giving me a sad look, before taking a step back. I kind of wondered how bad I looked at this moment, and a knock on the door pulled her attention away from me.

Bringing my attention back to Zach, who gaze never did leave me. I reached out my hand toward him. Moving he grasped it softly, before pressing my hand to his lips. His hand was so warm that it felt like it was anchoring me from everything. Lowering my hand slowly, his thumb stroked little circles on my hand. He didn’t meet my eyes yet, just holding my hand so gently. I let him have this moment, so that he could get his thoughts together, because I know he has much to say. Finally lifting his head, his gaze was still unreadable, and he kept opening and closing his mouth. Like he wanted to say something, but not quite sure how to say it. Shaking his head, he let my hand go, before moving sitting down beside me. Reaching he grabbed the ice pack, before pressing it softly to my neck.

I forced myself to not flinch at the touch and coldness, just staring as his jaw clench and unclench. The silence was not uncomfortable, but it also wasn’t comfortable.

“I’m so angry.”

He whispered breaking the silence, before I looked away.

“At me?”

“Why the hell would I be mad at you? I’m mad at this situation.”

It suddenly felt like something was lifted off my shoulders, and I glanced back at him.

“Me too.”

Moving the ice pack away, he dropped it behind him, before turning his body toward me. Reaching he cupped my cheek, before pulling me forward until our foreheads were pressed against each other.

“Why did this happen?”

He questioned, and I closed my eyes, moving so my face was pressed between his neck and shoulder.

“Melissa?”

“I’ll tell you everything, but can you just hold me right now.”

He said nothing else, just wrapping me tightly in his arms. Closing my eyes, I gripped the back of his shirt just as tight not wanting to let go. For a moment, everything disappeared, and it was just us.

Our little moment was soon broken apart when the principal came in to get me. Separating from Zach, the feeling of this whole ordeal dawned on me. Like I knew this whole situation was bad, but once I ended up in the office with the principal and a police officer waiting on my guardian, I felt a deep tremble go through me.  

Clenching and unclenching my hands, my anxiety was going through the roof. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes lowering my head. Will it be Aunt Cali who comes, I just know she is going to freak out. A knock on the door, caused me to tense, before I glanced over my shoulder.

“Come in.”

Well here goes nothing.

Pushing the door open, I felt my heart clench as Dad walked right in closing the door behind him. Swallowing hard, I ended up clenching my hands once again. For some reason, Dad was the last person I thought would be coming.

” Mr. King, please have a seat.”

Once our eyes met, he marched right over, before kneeling on a knee in front of me.

“Baby what?”

Reaching, I watched his fingers gently press against my neck before he pulled away. Standing up straight, he turned to the principal with the darkest look I have ever seen on his face.

“Principal Ross, why does my daughter have fingerprint bruises on her neck.”

It felt like we were in the principal’s office forever. I mean I know this is a real serious situation, but I just wanted to go home. I had somehow got Dad to not put a restraining order on the guy, because I knew this was a misunderstanding built on lies. Finally, when it was time to leave the school day was almost over. Holding my bag that Catherine had dropped off, I sat in the car leaning my head against the window.

Dad had insist that I get my neck checked out, which I didn’t mind doing. Once finished out of the doctor office, it was around four something. And you wouldn’t believe how exhausted I was. Finally getting home, we sat in the car for a while just sitting in silence.

“Melissa…”

Bringing my gaze to Dad, he had an unreadable expression on his face.

“Yes?”

“We need to talk.”

I knew it was coming, and I nodded my head.

Making it inside, we went into the living room, and I dropped my bag before sitting on the couch. Sitting down beside me, he moved pulling me close to his side.

“Baby why didn’t you tell me you were having problems in school?”

I’m sorry Dad, I thought I could handle it, but it got out of hand.”

Like really out of hand.

Rubbing my shoulders, he pressed a kiss to the side of my head.

“Just next time, tell me if something like this happens again.”

“I promise.”

A soft smile formed on his face, and he soon stood up.

“I’m about to fix dinner, want any?”

“No, I think I’m just gonna go to bed.”

“Alright, good night honey.”

Standing, I grabbed my bag before running up the steps. Tossing my bag somewhere in the room, I plopped down on my bed with a groan.

Today has been the worst