Am I Getting Bullied?

Once I started to get close to Amara, she slowly started to open up. She explained why she reacted so bad toward me in the beginning. Found out that Amara is slightly deaf in her right ear which made it hard to hear much. Thus the kids from her old school use to bully and make fun of her. She also explained that she lives in a single mother family, so money is kind of tight.

I wish I could really help her, but I don't really know how. Maybe I can talk to Dad about it. But I feel like Amara isn't just gonna accept money if I offer it to her, so maybe I'll think of something else.

Anyways, I've also noticed something weird is going on lately. It first started when Amara started beating me to class. Like she never beats me to class, but now she was always there first. The weirdest thing was it looked like she was always wiping down our desks. When I questioned her about it, she started talking about keeping germs down. So, I dropped it. But then it got even more weird. Like Zach began texting me more during school, not really talking about anything just asking was I ok. Like that set a red flag up for me. Then Terrell started meeting me at my locker walking me to class. Whenever I asked was something wrong, he replied that there wasn't. I just didn't understand what was going on.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into everything.

This happened for two weeks until I decided I had enough. Coming to class earlier than normal, I wanted to talk to Amara. When I saw she wasn't there yet, I went straight to my desk, to only stop. Staring blankly at the desk, it was covered in words.

SLUT

BITCH

NO ONE WANTS YOU HERE

A FUCKING WHORE SITS HERE

YOUR BOYFRIEND CAN DO BETTER

STAY AWAY FROM DALLAS

YOU'RE SUCH A FREAK

Just staring, I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. Glancing around the class everyone was staring at me. Who could have done such a thing? The more I stared at the desk the more I felt this deep anger fill me. A light tap on my shoulder made me flinch around. Standing there was one of my classmates Sarah giving me a weary look.

"Hey Melissa, can we talk?"

Slowly nodding my head, I followed her back out the classroom and into the bathroom. Clenching the strap of my bag, I stared at her for what felt like forever.

"What is it?"

Meeting my eyes, she glanced back down.

"About your desk..."

An uneasy feeling came over me. Did she do it? Or did she know who did it? Was it someone in our class?

The more I questioned myself the more this anger began to build. Giving her an unemotional stare, I folded my arms.

"Did you do it? Did you write that stuff on my desk?"

My voice was colder than I expected it should have been. Her eyes widen before she held up her hands shaking her head.

"No, it wasn't me or anyone in our class..."

Then who?

Frowning, I let my arms drop. Sarah moved closer, before grabbing my hands.

"A couple of times I saw these girls surround your desk before anyone really got to class. The first time, I told the teacher, but there wasn't much they could do. Because I didn't know the girls and no one could pinpoint who they were. The second time, Amara saw it too and told me not to worry, she would handle it."