Get Away

Staring at the clock, I just couldn’t force myself to go to sleep. So much was going on in my mind. This room just feels so suffocating. Getting up, I grabbed on of Zach’s hoodies I ‘borrowed’ and slipped on some sneakers. Maybe taking a walk might help me clear my mind. I didn’t want to wake or worry Dad though. Glancing at my window, I let out a sigh. Guess I’m taking the window, and I stuffed my phone into my pocket. Opening my window, I slowly crawled out taking the emergency ladder. Dropping to the ground, I pulled the hood over my head. Hurrying, I moved to the sidewalk before walking away from the house.
The walk was quiet,  it that was probably because it was so late, or should I say early because it was almost two in the morning. Not really knowing where I wanted to go, I ended up near a playground. Sitting on a swing, I felt my phone buzzing. Holding my breath, I hope it wasn’t Dad, finding I snuck out. Letting out the breath, when I saw it was just from our group chat.
Derek
Zach your bitch ass locked me out the house…
Zach
Fuck you, I told you to keep the door open
Derek
I did, your ass shut the door
Zach
Bitch I haven’t got up from the bed
Derek

Zach
Fine hold up
Zach is offline
Derek
You know we can see your online, Mel 🫣
Staring at the phone, before shaking my head.
Mel
😬🫥
Derek
What you doing up?
Mel
Needed some air…
Derek
Zach is gonna kill you if your getting air is not home air 😬
Mel
🤫🤫🤫🫥
My phone then started ringing asking  for a video chat from Derek. Debating if I should answer it or not. I knew if I didn’t he could just call again. Accepting the call last minute, I cut my camera off quickly. Derek’s face soon popped up.
“Hey why is the camera off?”
“Don’t know?”
“Yeah okay, how are you?”
“Physically or mentally?”
“Both, but let’s start with physically.”
Kicking my feet so I was slightly swinging.
“No serious injuries.”
“Okay, that’s good.”
Derek was in the dark, until a light came on lightening his features showing he had a bad case of the bed head and was wearing a tank top.
“Who you talking to?”
Zach’s voice popped up before I could see his face peering over Derek’s shoulder.
“Damn nosy ain’t you.”
Derek scoff, before you could hear the sound of a smack. Mostly likely Derek getting smack in the back of his head.
“Your lucky my nosy ass came and opened the door.”
“Yeah, yeah I’m completely grateful.”
They bickered for a moment, before a giggle fell from my lips.
“Mellisa?”
Zach called before grabbing the phone, and I was staring at his blue eyes.
“Hey.”
“Damn, he could tell by your laugh. He is so whipped.”
Derek laughed in the background, before you could hear another smack.
“Shut up, before a whip my foot up your ass.”
They began to bicker again, and I dropped my feet stopping the swing.
“What you doing talking to this dumbass at this hour?”
Zach questioned and I shrugged my shoulders even though he couldn’t see me.
“He called me.”
“And you answered?”
“Looks like it.”
Zach face then disappeared before Derek’s reappeared.
“Mel, where are you?”
My eyes widen for a moment, before making sure my camera was still off, which was.
“Whatcha mean?”
It was silent for a minute, before Zach spoke again.
“Yeah, what you mean Derek?”
He didn’t say anything, just peered at me through the screen, even though he still couldn’t see me.
“I hear crickets.”
Taking a moment to listen, I could also hear the crickets now that you mention it.
“Okay I’m outside. I told you I was getting some air.”
“You acting like she’s not at home.”
I heard Zach mumble and I bit my lower lip.
“Ye…”
A car then blasting loud rap music went by making me jump in shock. Watching it go down the road, before I let out a sigh. Why would anyone blast music so early in the morning. And yes I meant morning, it had to be around 3 in the morning. I then glanced back at the phone realizing that the boys probably heard that too. Derek was staring at me with a concern look.
“Melissa, what the hell?”
“Um…”
“Just send your location.”
Standing up, I glanced up at the sky.
“It’s fine, I just went for a walk.”
“Where?”
Zach had grabbed the phone again.
“Um..”
Glancing around, I didn’t really know the name of the street I was at. And when I didn’t say anything, a request for my location came  from both of them. Letting my location known, I walked over to a empty beach sitting down.
“Damn Mel, why are at this part of town?”
Derek questioned, as he looked on the phone with Zach. Turning on my camera since they both knew I wasn’t at home.
“I don’t know, I just started walking and ended up at the park here.”
“She’s over there near Terrell’s house.”
“Stay where you are, Terrell will come get you.”
“Fine.”
Dropping the call, I stuff my phone into my pocket before walking back to the swings. Rocking myself with one foot, I really should get back home. The last thing I need is for Dad to wake up and I’m gone. But I really want to stay outside. A bright like then flashed on me, and Terrell rolled up on his motorcycle. Jumping off the swing, I walked over to him, and he pulled me into a hug.
It shocked me at first, before I hugged him back tightly. Pulling away, he grabbed the spare helmet before handing it to me.
“So where you off to?”
His voice was kind of muffled because of the helmet,  but I still understood.
“Can you just take me home?”
“No problem."
Putting the helmet on, I got behind him before holding on tight. The ride was kind of calming, watching the lights and things flashing by, I ended up closing my eyes.
Soon we got back to my house, pulling into the drive way. Glancing to the house, all the lights were still off which meant Dad was still asleep. Well that was a plus. Shutting his motorcycle off, I got off, before taking the helmet off. 
“Thanks for the ride.”
Taking the helmet, Terrell pulled his off as well.
“No problem, you good?”
“Yeah, Derek and Zach were just making a big deal out of everything.  I could have walked back home.”
Shaking my head, we walked to my porch, before sitting on the steps.
“Won’t no problem, besides it’s not that safe in my neighborhood.”
“Hmm.”
I was listening but also I wasn’t. It felt nice out there and soon the sun would be up. Pulling my phone out, it was four something now.
“Melissa?”
Bringing my attention back to him, he brushed my hood off my head. Watching him give me a good look over, I could see the anger clouding his eyes.
“I’m okay. It doesn’t hurt hardly either.”
Letting out a sigh, he threw his arm round my shoulder.
“That’s good, but it is still fucked up.”
“Yeah…”
We were silent for a while until his phone rang. Glancing over, he looked it at for a moment.
“Text Zach you got home. I got to head back.”
Dropping his arm, he stood up. Standing up as well, I smiled giving a slight wave.
“Okay, see ya later.”
Terrell stared at me for a moment, before throwing me a smile. Reaching he ran his fingers across the bruise on my neck.
“Next time, I’ll teach you more self defense stuff.”
“Okay.”
As he left, the front door opened. Dad peeped his head out, before raising an eyebrow.
“Melissa, what are you doing honey?”
Moving up the steps, he was dressed for the day.
“I just needed some air.”
Opening his arms, I moved hugging him tightly. He ran his fingers threw my hair, before pressing a kiss to my forehead.
“Want me to stay home with you?”
“No, it’s okay Dad. I’ll probably just sleep today.”
“Okay, call me or Aunt Cali if you need anything. “
“I will.”
Walking inside, he waved leaving, and I closed the door behind me. Flicking the lock, I let out a sigh, before going back upstairs.
Maybe a nap will help