𝟏𝟐

-ˏˋ𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙇𝙑𝙀 ˎˊ˗════ ⋆͛♡⋆͛ ════

════ ⋆͛♡⋆͛ ════

            It took longer than usual for Rory's neck to snap back into place, as if there was something in her that didn't want to heal. Usually, with the assistance of the necklace, it would take half an hour—an hour at most, really—but Klaus was left alone to stare at the momentarily dead vampire for the entire night. When the clock struck 9am, Rory's eyes slowly peeled open and she let out a breath like she was already exhausted for what the day had to offer. Klaus couldn't really gauge how close Rory and Kol's relationship was—sure, he knew they were close, but how close exactly? Rory had never exactly spoken about Kol in a fond light, and it was the same for his younger brother when he spoke about Rory, but there was something particularly defeated and gut-wrenching in her eyes; like they were closer than they both knew.

It was a complicated thing for Klaus to process, if he was being honest. He had never been one to share. He was most definitely the jealous sort, and he did feel threatened by his brother in some sense... but he wouldn't celebrate Kol's death. He was also a little, dare he say it, happy that his brother had found a friend. Connecting with people hadn't exactly been Kol's strong suit, and despite the two of them constantly butting heads, Klaus could tell that Rory invoked something in him that he as a sibling could not. It was no mistake that in Klaus' absence, Rory had gone to seek comfort from Kol; his brother was the first one to try and coach her into drinking human blood again. As Rory's partner, Klaus was both grateful and sad that he hadn't been there to help her as well. As Kol's brother, he was distraught. Kol was a good man. All he wanted was a family. Klaus had failed him... again.

Still, though, there was Rory to think about too. With another of his siblings out of the running, it was clear to Klaus that even immortality could not save them. Kol and Finn were both well and truly dead, and it wouldn't be too hasty to assume that with his luck, he would be next—the Scooby Doo gang had a way with the goddess of luck, it seemed. Tyche was just never on his side.

"How are you feeling?" was the first thing that Klaus asked as he crouched in front of Rory, the doppelganger's face still pressed against the pillow. He took back what he said about Tyche not being on his side—there was one thing the goddess of luck gave him that day: it was that Rory didn't die, too.

"I don't know," Rory whispered. Worry immediately clouded Klaus' face. His hands drifted to lift her wrist, seeing that the bracelet he had gotten for her for her birthday wasn't on her wrist. In fact, it hadn't been on her wrist in a long while. He could see the gears turning in her head, click, click, clicking. There were a million thoughts racing through her mind. "I can't believe he's dead."

"Your family betrayed you," Klaus said grimly. "They left, presumably to find the cure now that Jeremy's mark has been completed," Rory pressed her face further into the pillow, as if the news stung her. Klaus placed a hand over the back of her head. "You've been out for some time. Have you been feeding?"