𝟎𝟓

⌠ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀 ⌡───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

⌠ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀 ⌡
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

Curiosity is what attracted Klaus Mikaelson to Rory Gilbert first. Pure, unbridled curiosity—he wasn't aware that a new doppelganger had appeared after Katerina Petrova, and he hadn't realised it had been so soon. The first few times he had seen her, he had taken a voyeuristic role; he had watched her like a predator did to its prey, asking a few of his loyal men to follow after her. What was she doing? Who was she with? How exactly did her presence come to be?

Another question he had asked himself: why doesn't he just kill her?

It would be so... easy. Rory was entranced by him since the beginning, he could tell by the way her eyes glimmered when he approached her, the way her lips parted with interest when he spoke to her. She didn't even bother to hide her attraction, really. Whereas he'd find it annoying with everybody else, he never felt it with her.

Perhaps it was because she shared the face of the same girl he was in love with a thousand years ago, Tatia. No, not Katerina, Tatia. There was something about Rory that reminded him so much of her—the way she laughed, the way she carried herself. But they weren't so similar in the fact that he would fool himself into thinking Rory was Tatia. No, whereas Tatia was somewhat perfect in Klaus' eyes, Rory's imperfections made her who she was.

Rory was a liar, he discovered. She suffered from a nicotine addiction after her parents' passing, turning to cigarettes to calm her down. She was a very anxious person. She lied and told Jeremy that she quit smoking, yet Klaus had seen her once or twice in the smoking area of her college campus. Rory spoke too loudly and laughed even louder, even in small, quiet places.

Rory cared far too little about what other people thought, and though Klaus shared the same affliction, she cared so little that she was more than too brutally honest. She just couldn't stand people that tiptoed around the truth. She'd sent some people off crying once, and when Klaus asked her why, she had simply responded, "If I'm thinking it, I might as well say it".

Rory Gilbert had too much of a hold on him.

He wasn't in love with her, of course. That would be ridiculous. He barely even knew the girl compared to the other companions he's had in his long lifetime. He didn't really know if he possessed any feelings for her at all. What he did know is that he cared enough not to kill her and complete the sacrifice on sight. He cared enough to orchestrate this entire false relationship to create a fake sense of security until the full moon.

Yet, every full moon that passed, Klaus told himself he'd kill her at the next one.

He despised that he cared. Every text message sent off to her in the mornings to strengthen their faux relationship was always hinted with a little bit of truth despite his nauseating words. In every good morning, I miss you, have a good day, there was always a little truth in the words have a good day. He actually bothered to both wish her and mean it.