𝟎𝟑

⌠ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀 ⌡───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

⌠ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀 ⌡
───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

            Rory made her way downstairs, running a hand through her hair. She was still dressed in a pair of grey sweatpants and a tank top from sleep, but she was shocked to find that her aunt Jenna was home, talking to an older man she had never seen before. She stood at the bottom of the stairs, a confused frown on her face.

            "Um," Rory began, "Good morning?"

            "Rory!" Jenna exclaimed, flinching back from the older male as if she'd been burned. The male standing beside her looked confused, knowing that it wasn't Elena that stood before him—Elena was upstairs talking to Stefan, and she was dressed completely different. Also, there was also the obvious fact that Jenna referred to her as Rory, "Hey, sweetie. Um, this is my... friend, Alaric."

            "Hi," Alaric gave her a small smile as he held an arm out to shake her hand, "Alaric Saltzman. I, uh, teach Elena and Jeremy at school."

            "And you're friends with my aunt?" Rory gave him an inquisitive once over and she shook his hand, "Isn't a little... unprofessional, showing up at your students' houses? I mean, being friends with their legal guardian or not."

            Alaric flushed, looking quite uncomfortable at Rory's question. He sputtered to find an answer, but he was saved by Elena, who descended down the stairs. She looked to be carrying a bag behind her, Rory frowning in confusion as Stefan trailed after her.

            "What's going on?" Rory inquired, finally noticing that Damon was standing outside with a car parked on their front lawn, "Elena, are you going somewhere?"

            "Uh, yeah. Damon, Alaric and I are just taking a trip to Duke for a while—I need to sort some stuff out," Elena gave her a hesitant smile, feeling wary at lying to her twin.

            "And what's going on at Duke that's so important? Also, why Damon?" Rory continued to ask as Elena walked out the front door, carrying her bag behind her. Damon waved at her from the front of his car, but Rory didn't bother acknowledging him. She was too busy trying to get answers from Elena, who seemed to be continuously ignoring her, "'Lena, when I ask questions I'd really like to get at least one answer."

            "I don't have time to talk about it right now, Rory," Elena said as she hauled her bag into Damon's car, "I just... really, really need to sort some stuff out. It'll just be a while; I'll be back before you know it."

            Rory clenched her jaw in slight irritation. Ever since she got back, it seemed like her sister was hiding more things than she realised. Elena made it seem like her life was simple over the phone and Skype calls—acting like she was just a simple high school student going through the motions. Yet, the brunette stood in front of her, going on day trips with her boyfriend's brother for "stuff" she had to "handle". Something was fishy.