𝐗𝐈𝐗

❛ 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 ❜════ ⋆★⋆ ════

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Oddly enough, the first person that Rory called was Kol Mikaelson. She didn't exactly know why—the older male hadn't really been much of a friend towards her, more of a teacher than anything, but she didn't know who else to turn to. Rebekah was suffering the same amount of loss as Rory was; it would be wrong to throw the burden on the Original, but Kol... Kol was never really that close to Klaus. To him, Klaus being dead was probably something good. What she needed right now wasn't a shoulder to lean on—what she needed was someone to tell her to snap out of it; someone to tell her that her world shouldn't stop spinning because of some guy, even if it did feel like it just tipped on its axis.

"Didn't think I'd see you so soon," commented Kol as she slipped into the passenger seat. She was at the outskirts of town at a bus stop, awaiting the older male to pick her up. He had arrived not too late in the afternoon in his Bentley, speeding down the highway like his life depended on it. "Heard you had a little misdemeanour after our little session the other day. Stefan and Damon Salvatore worked you over, didn't they?"

"I don't want to talk about that," Rory sighed, tipping her head back. "Your brother's dead, just an FYI."

"I know. Rebekah called me as soon as she found out what happened. I figure that Elijah is on his way home. I never really cared for Nik—not after he daggered me for nearly a century, anyway," Kol responded. "Besides, he isn't dead. He's just desiccated till further notice. If he was dead, then I'm sure a lot of your friends—and the majority of the vampire race—would be as well."

"You don't care about that at all?" Rory turned to face him.

"Nope," Kol tapped his fingers over the steering wheel. "If anything, it's better this way: he won't be around to shove a dagger in my chest and stick me into a coffin again. I've never felt freer."

"Oh," was all Rory could muster out.

"I don't know why you called me. We're not friends," Kol continued. "I'm not going to make you feel any better, and from what I've heard, your only source of blood is desiccated. With the affliction that you have with regular blood, I doubt you'll make it through the week."

"I don't know why I called you either," Rory stated. "I think it's because I don't need a friend right now. I just need someone to distract me."

"Sorry, I don't see you like that," Kol said.

"Ha," Rory gave him a sarcastic laugh. "I don't see you like that either. I don't do those types of distractions anymore; I learned my lesson. I mean I just need to do something to get my mind off things. Also, if you don't see me like that, why'd you invite me to the ball?"

Kol shrugged. "I just didn't want to be the only one out of my siblings without a date. Also, Nik got really jealous and almost punched me in the face when he found out I invited you—it was why he invited your annoying blonde friend, Caroline. It was hitting two birds with one stone: I won't be the lonely sibling, and I get to grind my big brother's gears. Win-win."