Bonus Chapter - Wedding Night

Start from the beginning

He could only see the ground, and he remembered the base of the golden pillars were blinding as he was brought to the carriage again to bring him to his chambers.

Attendants and guards alike bowed or knelt as his carriage passed by.

Long live the First Royal Consort, they wished him.

I wished I wouldn't live that long.

Was that fleeting thought not so fleeting after all? Had it been deep inside his mind and therefore he had wrapped the dagger inside his silk robes even if it was an obviously silly thing to do?

Perhaps.

That thought diminished when he was brought to his room. The sight of the large bed and pristine sheets angered him and took over his mind.

How dare they. Will the King take him on these sheets? No, he decided. He would not give his body after he had given his freedom. He would not submit.

"...not sure that is a good gift, your majesty," a voice tentatively said outside the doors.

"I'm sure he will like it," Jungkook insisted.

Jungkook was sure Taehyung would like his gift. The boy must be hungry. He did not have a chance to eat in between the countless rituals. Jungkook had ordered an attendant to prepare some light snacks and sweets. He knows from Hoseok's rambles months ago that Taehyung will like these refreshments for sure. He had remembered every word.

It was unfortunate Jungkook had entered the room at the peak of Taehyung's rage.

Taehyung had taken off his veil and Jungkook saw him for the first time since Taehyung was five.

Jungkook's eyes were wide and his mouth parted as his breath was knocked out of his chest. He didn't imagine Taehyung was more than "the absolute prettiest" as Hoseok had said months ago. Jungkook doesn't think he had ever seen a more beautiful face. Every feature was perfection.

How fortunate he is, to have such a beauty by his side. He remembered now, how he wanted to be close to Taehyung and his warm aura and finally Jungkook was not too shy, too small or too slow. Taehyung is his now, and he is here right in front of his eyes.

It was slightly embarrassing, but Jungkook had prepared some words he wanted to say to Taehyung. He wanted to say:

He would get to know him then love him.

He would cherish him and bring him out whenever he can, and one day, he would make him Queen.

Jungkook did not know he would not get to say those words tonight.

Unknown to him, all Taehyung saw in front of him was King Jeon, the lock to his cage.

Yes, Taehyung had admired Jungkook for his talent and heart, but for a moment, he blamed him. He saw Jungkook as the reason why he was trapped in his own home for years, that he could not roam the streets freely, that he has no friends other than Jimin and his brothers, that he had no say in his future...

Taehyung was unable to accept it.

Why, Jungkook wonders, why is Taehyung looking at him like that? A chill shot from the top to the bottom of Jungkook's spine as he recognised what those raw emotions are.

Hate and despair.

"Hate? Taehyung doesn't have anything he hates. I don't think he has it in him to hate. Maybe he would be happier if he could go out more often though," Hoseok had said.