Discipline, her coach told her, it teaches you to stop being an incompetent little girl.

She wipes the sweat that dots her forehead, pressing the stop button on the player. She slips off her pointe shoes, pushing her feet into a pair of slides. Her feet ache, bruised and blistered, but she doesn't mind it. It reminds her that she's there, that she's still alive. Unlike Trevor. Unlike Elijah.

Her duffle bag is slung over her shoulder as she closes the door to the studio, handing the key over back to Jasper that sits at the counter. He waves at her as she leaves, and she starts on her walk back home.

She pauses in front of the boarding house that she knows belongs to the Salvatore brothers. Obviously, because of the huge sign on the front that says SALVATORE BOARDING HOUSE. As if on cue, Elena exits the front door. She walks down the driveway, lifting her gaze from the phone in her hand to meet Rory's eyes.

"Rory?" Elena asks, slightly shocked, "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Just got back from dance. I'm passing by,"

"Again? You've been at it all week," Elena's eyebrows pull together in a concerned frown.

"It's fine, Elena. I'm not pushing myself too hard," Rory gives her sister a reassuring smile, "Where are you going?"

"School," Elena shrugs, "You know the deal. Not all of us can get our diplomas early."

"Right," Rory responds.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind but I went to your room today and I saw that you had my necklace," Elena gestures towards the chain resting around her own neck. Rory's eyes lower to the charm, and her knuckles clench behind her lower back, "I hope you don't mind that I took it back."

Shit, Rory thinks, yes, yes, I do mind. Fuck.

"Of course not," Rory slips a smile onto her face, "It's yours, anyway. I was supposed to give it back, but I forgot."

"No worries. I'll see you after school?" Elena offers.

"Sure, Elena," Rory watches as her sister climbs into her car, "I'll see you after school."

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

Rory has a cigarette between her lips when Elijah approaches her. The Englishman is donned in another fitted tux, and the sight of the supposedly dead male makes Rory jump out of her own skin. Her lips part in surprise when he stands beside her casually, hand tucked into one of his pant pockets.

"You shouldn't smoke. It's bad for you," Elijah comments as he leans against the wall.

"Aren't you supposed to be... dead?" Rory inquires incredulously. Her hands reach up to rub at her eyes as if he's a dream, "Am I seeing things?"

"For centuries now," Elijah's lips upturn into a small smirk, "But no—you are not seeing things. I really am here. I'm an Original. It's going to take a little bit more than a regular old wooden stake in the heart to kill me."

"Christ," Rory mutters as she fishes her lighter from her pocket. She holds the flame to the end of her cigarette, lighting it. She takes a drag, "So, why visit my little unimpressive self?"

"Little, perhaps. Unimpressive, no," Elijah disagrees, "Your name, it's Aurora, isn't it?" Rory keeps silent, but she nods. He gives a distasteful glance, "I knew an Aurora. I presume you prefer to be called Rory, then?"

"Please. No one calls me Aurora unless I'm in trouble," Rory responds as she taps the excess off her cigarette.

Elijah gives her a quiet chuckle, "What do you know about us? Vampires, I mean,"