Session 30

"So, You'll be giving the baby up for adoption?"

"Yeah."

"Do you think you'll be ready for that when the time comes?"

"Yeah."

"And the sky is so brown today, have you noticed?"

"Yeah."

"Aaron."

"Ye–sorry. Uh, what were you saying?"

"The adoption. You've made that decision?"

I nodded my head.

"And how do you feel about that?"

"I don't know. I mean, It's gonna be a private adoption? I think? I don't know, Derricks kinda been handling all that. He said there's a really good family he's found and he thinks we should pick them...."

"But?"

"What if they aren't nice? What if I give this baby to some horrible people or racists or homophobes or I don't know, conservatives? republicans? What if they teach them the wrong things?"

"Have you been asking questions about the families?"

"Not really."

"Aaron, how involved have you been during this whole process?"

"I've been going to the checkups. Taking the pills. That stuff."

"But looking at profiles? Meeting with the families?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I don't want to get attached. I know that's practically impossible because it's growing in me and basically apart of me but I don't want to get involved in where it goes because then i'll think about it. I'll wonder where it's at. How it's doing. I'm scared i'll regret it."

"It's never too late to change your mind, have you thought about keeping it?"

"I cant have a baby. Like, I can have a baby but I can't keep a baby. Not yet."

"That's very mature of you to say."

"I guess."

"Aaron, even acknowledging that right now you aren't ready and aren't capable means a lot. I've seen a lot of girls think they can do it and that it's better if they do but it doesn't end up working out the way the think. You might not think ur making the right decision but i'm telling you it is. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Then why do I feel terrible?"

"I think, you need to involve yourself more. Look at the profiles. Go to the meetings you won't feel any better until you do. Do as much as you can until it's time for the birth so you can feel secure in your decision."

"Ok."