° 48

"Why are you here?" Kevin leans against one of the walls. Mornings weren't so busy as lunch and dinner.

"I work here, Kevin," I deadpan and go to clock in but he blocks the computer with his body. I didn't even see him moving so fast.

"You're graduating today. Go home and get ready," His face was serious and I was semi startled by it. Kevin was usually so relaxed and casual.

"It's my GED," I roll my eyes. It wasn't like I would be walking a stage with a huge class of peers. It was me and like five other people.

"It's all the same!" I try to maneuver around him but he holds me by my arms and pushes me back, "Morgan! Morgan!" our supervisor comes from the back looking between us and raises a questioning brow, "She can't be here. She's graduating today!"

Morgan was about forty and she was sweet so when she smiles and covers her mouth in shock I want to groan and also crawl away, "Why didn't you say anything? I would've given you the whole weekend off, Aaron!"

"It's my GED. It's not serious!" She frowns.

"It's still a milestone. Go home and be with your family, sweetie," I feel my throat tighten.

Kevin looks triumphant and I frown taking off my apron walking by him purposely bumping him with my shoulder. They could just send me my certificate. That's what I wanted. The other people who were getting there's had family coming even though we'd be in a small room. They talked about it for weeks. One girl was finally going to see her baby after a year of being away. Another guys girlfriend was coming from states away and one older man said his wife and children were coming.

For them it was a milestone. For me it was a reminder of how unfortunate my life was. I should've been in high school. Going to prom and preparing to walk the stage with friends. I should be preparing to go to college or about to travel the world. Instead I was recently released from a psych ward and working as a server and go home to other recently released ward patients with no family as well. I didn't need another reminder of how alone I was.

Another reminder of how terrible life had been for me. I was trying to move on. Look ahead rather than backwards but it seemed like the universe loved to send me constant reminders.

I'm standing against the brick of the restaurant in the back outside. I hate that was I was crying. I was trying not to take life so serious. Not make a big deal about things. I know Kevin thought he was helping me. He thought he was doing the right thing. He didn't know my situation so I couldn't be mad at him. If I had said something he wouldn't have pushed so hard. He probably wouldn't have said anything at all and let me be.

The back door opens and Kevin takes me in and I can see the regret in his eyes.

He hugs me and murmurs confused apologies in my ear and then pulls away, "Why aren't you happy about this? Most people would at least be proud of themselves," He was trying to understand and the only way he would is if I came clean.

"No one's going to be there," I wipe tears from my cheeks and shrug, "It's just me."

"I—I didn't know Aaron. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I try to smile the best I can, "You were trying to be nice."

"I can come. I can skip my class," He smiles. It's that pity smile people give when they realize you aren't like them. I didn't want pity. I know he means well but this is what I wanted to avoid.

I shake my head, "I don't want you to do that."

"Aaron—"

"Seriously. You've been talking about how much work you have to do since last week. I'm not getting in the way of that," He sighs before nodding saying more apologies but also saying he's proud of me before walking back in the restaurant.