° 21

Something wasn't right

Something wasn't right. I just knew it wasn't. It was closing in on the second Tuesday of the second week of September and something was off. I could feel or the lack of it. It was ten at night and I shoot out of bed. I mumble a curse under my breath. I hear Rylie rustle above me but he doesn't wake. He was an early sleeper. Usually in bed by nine. I scurry out the room trying go be as quiet as possible.

I could hear Mr. Phoenix downstairs laughing at something Chase probably said. He was always here late in the evening until around eleven then he went home to his family. I creep down the stairs and but not quiet enough because Mr. Phoenix notices me almost immediately. My arms cross over my chest and walk towards the kitchen to get water. It had gotten quiet. Their chatter ceased and I feel nervous.

It was only a few days ago that I confessed to Mr. Phoenix about my inner loathing. There was a shift in the condo. Conversation grew stale. Interaction lessened to almost nothing. I quite enjoyed it. I swallow hard before venturing towards the living room. They were both sitting on the couch. Mr. Phoenix still in his slacks and dress shirt. Chase in something similar. Clear glasses with an intricate pattern were filled only about an inch with brown liquid.

"Aaron, do you need something?" Mr. Phoenix asks politely and I bite the inside of my cheek.

"Y-yeah, I do," he raises a brow and I purse my lips. My flicker to Chase who looks genuinely curious.

"What do you need?"

"Things."

He frowns, "What?"

"Lady things."

His eyes widen a fraction and I feel mortified when I hear chase snicker, "Oh."

"Yeah."

Mr. Phoenix rubs the back of his neck. He looks at his watch, "Well, it's late and--,"

"I need them now!" I snap a little too loudly and then roll my lips inward. I take a breath, "I'm sorry. But this isn't something I can just hold off on."

He nods in understanding before standing from his seat, "Right. Of course," he pats his pockets, "I'll just get my keys and we can--,"

"N-no! I can uh, I can go by myself."

"It's a half past ten, Aaron. You aren't going outside alone."

"I could just--"

"No. That's final."

I clench my fist, "Never mind actually. I'll just go tomorrow."

•••

I had to wait until the next day. I planned to go while everyone was out. There was a store not too far where I could go. But my plans had been deterred when the boys left for school and Mr. Phoenix left for work. They had both keys therefore I wouldn't be able to get back in until they got back. So, I waited.